PDA

View Full Version : Just A Little Bowl

Mike Hollis
03-20-2024, 9:09 PM
Had a chunk of Red Mallee burl that I made in to a bowl for SWMBO. This stuff is very hard and requires sharp tools or it will chip easily (at least in my limited experience with it). Sanded to 600 grit and then hit with Yorkshire Paste. Still need to figure out what I’m putting on for a finish:

John Kananis
03-21-2024, 8:59 AM
What a beautiful pattern in that burl. Nicely done.

Robert Hayward
03-21-2024, 6:14 PM
I agree, a beautiful piece of wood and well executed.

James Tibbetts
03-22-2024, 2:18 AM
Simple design well executed that allows this gorgeous chunk of wood to be the star. Well done all around.
I would ask SWMBO what she will use it for. Might not need anything but beeswax for finish, or shellac rubbed out.

Mike Hollis
03-22-2024, 5:44 AM
Simple design well executed that allows this gorgeous chunk of wood to be the star. Well done all around.
I would ask SWMBO what she will use it for. Might not need anything but beeswax for finish, or shellac rubbed out.

She hasn’t decided what she will use it for. I decided to give OBs Shine Juice a try - will be my first time using it and figured this is a good candidate.

Dave Mount
03-22-2024, 10:28 PM
Nice work with a very appealing piece of wood. Not much evidence of the checking that so often occurs with Mallee burl.

Thanks for sharing.

Best,

Dave