PDA

View Full Version : Dept of Redundancy Dept

Patty Hann
03-18-2024, 1:14 PM
Just saw this posted on news site:

NATCHEZ, Miss. (WLBT (https://www.wlbt.com/2024/03/15/after-being-pulled-over-man-spontaneously-tells-mississippi-cop-where-body-is-located/)/Gray News) - A traffic stop led to the discovery of skeletal remains in Mississippi on Thursday.
Natchez Police Department Commander Jerry Ford says officers pulled over the driver of a small pickup truck ... he told officers something “spontaneously” that immediately got their attention.

“The suspect at that time stated that he had information about a corpse in the nearby area,” Ford said...

“We came out and actually went off in the woods maybe 10 feet, and discovered that there was a dead corpse,” Ford said.... [Emphasis--mine--added]

-----

Good heavens... I wonder how the police would have reacted if they had found a live corpse?...

Mike Null
03-18-2024, 1:30 PM
It makes one wonder what kind of education these TV people had. Such language is commonplace on our St. Louis channels. And all of them have to use the word "iconic" even if it's not appropriate--but then they wouldn't know that.:confused:

Pat Germain
03-18-2024, 1:34 PM
There have always been a lot of media absurdities. Although, it does seem like editors have been eliminated in favor to Spell Check. And "dead corpse" passes Spell Check.

A friend of mine tells a great story about the time his brother edited their small town classified ads. A woman was selling Great Pyrenees puppies and titled her ad with "GENTLE GIANTS!". Brother mistakenly typed it as "GENITAL GIANTS!" and it ended up on the Tonight Show With Jay Leno. Brother's only excuse was, "It passed Spell Check!". But hey, that woman quickly sold all her puppies, so she was happy. :)

Patty Hann
03-18-2024, 2:59 PM
... A woman was selling Great Pyrenees puppies and titled her ad with "GENTLE GIANTS!". Brother mistakenly typed it as "GENITAL GIANTS!" and it ended up on the Tonight Show With Jay Leno. Brother's only excuse was, "It passed Spell Check!"..... :)

Too funny! :D

Edward Weber
03-18-2024, 3:36 PM
We have a guy (newscaster) out here that does that kind of thing all the time.
Just the other dayLast year, the price of gas was 5 cents high than at this time ...last year.It's the old Austin Powers line, Allow myself to introduce...myself

Bill Dufour
03-18-2024, 3:50 PM
Reminds me of the old joke about a small plane crashed into a cemetery. The count is over 100 dead, they are still digging up bodies.
Bill D

Earl McLain
03-18-2024, 8:18 PM
Time references sometimes get a little under my skin...for example, "10 am in the morning". Is there a "10 am" in the afternoon or evening?? And yet, i hear those references regularly on newscasts, especially during the weather portion when we're told that "sunrise will be at 6:27 am in the morning".

Other than that, my life is pretty good!!

Bruce Wrenn
03-18-2024, 8:22 PM
"Registered voters" Anybody not registered ever vote?

Jerry Bruette
03-18-2024, 8:27 PM
Hot water heater always gets me.

Patty Hann
03-18-2024, 8:41 PM
One of my "makes me grind my teeth" favorites: [something or other] "declined down".

Well, good heavens! We certainly don't want it declining up! :rolleyes:

John Lifer
03-19-2024, 10:58 AM
From that area, the newscasters on WLBT are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but neither are any of the kids up here.
For local news, and I think most national news, you need to be able to read the teleprompter with a straight face. That's it.

Jerome Stanek
03-19-2024, 11:06 AM

Yes just look at all the extra ballots that are counted

Bernie Kopfer
03-19-2024, 11:35 AM
Yes just look at all the extra ballots that are counted

Ive been looking for a verifiable and creditable source detailing extra ballot counting. Perhaps Jerome, you could provide me/us with such source?

Jim Becker
03-19-2024, 11:55 AM
Let's not go there about the ballots. The original statement is funny relative to the wording, but there will be no discussion of politics here.

Jim
Forum Moderator

Michael Weber
03-19-2024, 1:16 PM
Let's not go there about the ballots. The original statement is funny relative to the wording, but there will be no discussion of politics here.

Jim
Form Moderator
lol, I was waiting for this.

Alan Lightstone
03-19-2024, 2:47 PM
Form Moderator
LOL. Had to have done that on purpose.

Doug Garson
03-20-2024, 3:33 PM
In my opinion, there is an implied difference between "registered voters" and voters. A registered voter is someone who is on the voters list and thus eligible to vote, while a voter is someone who actually voted. Since typical voter turnout is 60 to 70%, there is a big difference between the two.

Edward Weber
03-20-2024, 3:38 PM
In my opinion, there is an implied difference between "registered voters" and voters. A registered voter is someone who is on the voters list and thus eligible to vote, while a voter is someone who actually voted. Since typical voter turnout is 60 to 70%, there is a big difference between the two.

Did you not see the post about political topics?

Doug Garson
03-20-2024, 3:44 PM
Did you not see the post about political topics?
I don't think my post is political. Did you notice the post I quoted was not taken down and it is closer to being political than mine? My post is pointing out that the quoted post is not a good example of a redundant statement which is the subject of this thread.

Edward Weber
03-20-2024, 4:40 PM
Just stop, why push it.
This started out as a light-heated thread, now it's devolved into what is and what isn't political.

Lee DeRaud
03-21-2024, 12:00 AM
If you google the word "recursion", it pops up a question, "Did you mean: recursion".
Some body there does indeed have a sense of humor.

Patty Hann
03-21-2024, 6:15 AM
If you google the word "recursion", it pops up a question, "Did you mean: recursion".
Some body there does indeed have a sense of humor.

Too funny :D

Rick Potter
03-23-2024, 2:25 PM
I'm just glad Jim didn't use all caps, and yell at us. Almost blew my toupee off. :p