PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Box....

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Well been awhile since I posted a project. This is a box of walnut with maple dowels. It is about 3 1/2 X 9 inches. This will be a Christmas present for my father-in-law this next year. I plan to turn a pen, pencil and letter opener set for him to put in it. I still need to line it with some velvet material that I have. Anyway, hope you like :)
Thanks,
Corey

Cecil Arnold
02-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Looks nice Corey, what kind of hinges did you use. FIL will now forgive you for marrying his daughter.

Roy Wall
02-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Corey,

I like it!

Did you use some dowels or metal pins for the "back hinge"?? Did you line them up and create the back hinge by drawing in the sides during glue up?

Nice job!

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know Cecil, it will be 25 years in August, I have tried a couple times to give her back but he said no deal ;) ... ouch, she read that!
The hinges are brass pins ( 1/8 inch welding rod). Roy, basically I just carefully laid the box top out with the sides adjacent on each side and measured that way, measued the halfway line on the side of the top on each side and drilled away. they are not glued in, when you assembled the box the pins are trapped in it. You have to round over the back edge of the lid in order for the box lid to open and tilt back a bit. You can round over on a stationary belt sander like I did or run it thru a roundover bit on a router table. Either way will work. The dowels don't have anything to do with the hinges. All of this is laid out in both Doug Stowes and David Freidman books.
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Super lookin' box Corey!

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Corey my friend the box is beautiful. I am sure he will like it. I wondered how you did the hinges.

Corey I have been married 38 yrs. and my FIL told me no, no, no, no. I will not take her back. You wanted here she is yours. :eek: :eek: :D :D

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks Bruce & Bernie! Bernie, I don't know, I think we got keepers buddy! Who else would put up with us? :)
Corey

Tom Pritchard
02-06-2006, 11:49 PM
Great looking box Corey, I really like the way the walnut took the finish. Are those Miller dowels you used in the assembly? Very nice looking piece. I helped my son build a cherry box for his girlfriend a couple years ago, and he bought the red velvet stuff to line it at our local Woodcraft. It was very easy to work with, and it looked very rich.
Nice to see you putting that new workshop to such good use!

Barry Stratton
02-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Really nice looking box w/great proportions. Walnut is one of my favorites and that top piece is a beauty, looks like it has some curl as well. What did you use for the finish?

Also, as a newbie, I'll play one of my rookie cards and ask that you DO NOT show it to my FIL or I'll have to try to make him one!!

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks Tom, I appreciate it. Yes, those are the stepped Mini Miller Dowels, they work great. You can use as much of the dowell as you want to size it for the stock. The sides are 3/8 inch going into 1/2 on the front and back. I used about half the dowel. Yeah, I can get some cool looking fabrics and the local Hancock Frabric's store here, just down the street. I have some dark wine color that will look nice. Thanks again!
Corey

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Barry, the finish is a mix of BLO, Minwax Gloss Oil Ply and thinned with Mineral spirits. Basically a home made wipe on poly that many here use. You can thin it to suit yourself. Yeah, some stuff going on in the top and the sides but the top really lights up. Thank you for the kind words!
Corey

Michael Stafford
02-07-2006, 6:12 AM
Corey, a fine looking box. I like the clean lines and simplicity. The finish really popped the curl in that walnut. Nicely done. How about another picture when you line it?

Glenn Clabo
02-07-2006, 7:00 AM
Hey Corey...Simply elegant and nice looking in a manly way. Great job.

Bob Noles
02-07-2006, 7:09 AM
Corey,

Great looking box and I'm sure the FIL is going to be proud to own it. I really like the way the finish came out and the design is just right for a guy :cool:

Good job Bud!

Don Dean
02-07-2006, 8:39 AM
What can I say that has not been said already. I am struck by the beautiful yet simplistic of design. Your box shows the artistry of woodworking.

Jim Becker
02-07-2006, 8:49 AM
That's a really pretty box, Corey. The walnut is beautiful. Nice job!

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 9:36 AM
Thanks all. I really appreciate the kind words.

Corey

Lou Morrissette
02-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Corey,

Great looking box. The walnut realy "popped" with that finish. Thanks for sharing.

Lou

Rob Nolan
02-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Awesome! I’m inspired! My next box project will be walnut also. Maybe with a zebra wood veneer top.

Byron Trantham
02-07-2006, 10:44 AM
Corey, it's just beautiful. I personally love walnut and your box is great.

Jason Tuinstra
02-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Corey, very nice box. The walnut looks great.

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 3:56 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. Means alot to me coming from excellent woodworkers like yourself!

Corey

Dewayne Baker
02-07-2006, 4:16 PM
Great figure on that walnut. Well done!

Vaughn McMillan
02-07-2006, 4:32 PM
Nice job on the box, Cory, and the wood you chose looks great. Thanks for sharing the pics.

- Vaughn

John Buzzurro
02-07-2006, 7:31 PM
That's a beautiful box, Corey. Did you purchase the walnut locally?

Corey Hallagan
02-07-2006, 7:43 PM
Thank you John, no I got lucky. I buy my dimensioned thin hardwood from Sloans Hardwood. Got some 3/8 inch that has some cool stuff going on in it. The 1/2 inch is pretty plain. I don't have a jointer or planer so I have to go this route.

Corey

Pete Harbin
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Beautiful Corey! Those are some nice pieces of walnut you had to work with.

Pete