PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1618 Plunge Router

Jerry Thompson
03-16-2024, 6:40 PM
I have been testing a 1 1/4'' inch surfacing bit coupled with the dust collector for this router. I'm planning to make and end grain cuttin board.
The dust collector is as worthless as tits on a tom cat.
I have it hooked up to a shop vac. The filter is clean and the vac newly emptied.
I see little difference in the amount of wood particles needing cleaning up if I do not use it.
This is the collector made specifically for this router,

Jim Becker
03-16-2024, 7:54 PM
Some routers have collection ports that are more effective than others, but how the router is being used makes a big difference, too. For a flattening operation like you're doing, collection is difficult for ANY router, even the best of the best when it comes to on-board collection. (Festool and DeWalt 621) Why? Because the big cutter is flinging the chips horizontally at a high rate of speed. Those of us who use CNC are faced with similar challenges for dust collection, but because of the nature of the tool, there can be a "hula skirt" that surrounds the cutting than helps concentrate dust collection air flow in a way that results in more material being picked up. That can sometimes be done on a flattening fixture, but it takes a bit of work and engineering. Otherwise...the best advice I can give is have your broom ready. I mean that seriously. 'Nature of the operation.

Brian Runau
03-16-2024, 8:50 PM
I gave up trying to use dust collection on my handheld router after a couple tries. I make a huge mess when I cut dovetails, but vacuums up easily. Brian

Jerry Thompson
03-16-2024, 9:20 PM
Thank you Fellows. I shall get out the brush and broom.

Tom Bain
03-16-2024, 9:30 PM
Yep, it’s a challenging tool for dust collection. The only bits where it really works well are where the chips are effectively trapped, like using an up cut spiral bit for mortising.