PDA

View Full Version : Safe storage for a 22ga shotgun

Roger Feeley
03-14-2024, 1:07 PM
I just read that Virginia requires safe storage. I have my dads 22ga rifle that he had when he was a kid. I don’t know exactly when he got it but it’s pretty old. He was born in 1908.

the gun breaks down into two pieces and is stored in some sort of long sock that’s supposed to prevent rust. The last time it was handled was probably 20 years ago when a gunsmith friend went through it. He applied lubricants/coatings with archiving in mind. The last time it was shot by me was over 50 years ago.

So the gun is sort of disassembled and stored in a sock. There’s no ammunition in the house. What doi need to do to comply with storage requirements? There’s no way I’m getting a gun safe. Is there a lockable case that’s not too big? I can always just keep my trap shut but I would rather follow the law.

second question. If I take the gun to a gunsmith, can it be rendered inoperable in a way that’s reversible by a gunsmith? The idea would be to discourage a kid.

third question: Would a trigger lock suffice?

Brian Holcombe
03-14-2024, 1:17 PM
Call your local PD if you are unsure, they'll be able to give you a definitive answer but in my experience a pelican case with a padlock is acceptable.

FWIW, it's a .22 Caliber rifle.

Caliber is bullet OD for handguns and long guns.

Gauge refers to shotguns

mike stenson
03-14-2024, 1:24 PM
Call your local PD if you are unsure, they'll be able to give you a definitive answer but in my experience a pelican case with a padlock is acceptable.

FWIW, it's a .22 Caliber rifle.

Caliber is bullet OD for handguns and long guns.

Gauge refers to shotguns

This. I don't think I'd bother with things like removing the firing pin, etc.

Alan Rutherford
03-14-2024, 2:39 PM
Assuming it's a bolt-action rifle, the bolt is easily removed without tools by holding the trigger back while moving the bolt to the rear. The bolt is easily hidden away somewhere else and without it, it's a useless rifle. I don't know if that makes it legal but it should.

Try to avoid the situation where your heirs have a boltless rifle. Or a rifle-less bolt.

Lee DeRaud
03-14-2024, 2:44 PM
You can check with the local PD (N.B. not always an authoritative source when it comes to things like this), but I suspect that if a trigger lock is sufficient for CA, it's almost certainly good enough for VA.

That said, my googling indicated that it applies only if there are minors in the residence where the gun is stored.

Bruce Page
03-14-2024, 3:09 PM
Check with your P.D. first to learn what is required in your area. There are a number of lockable storage cases available online for not a lot of money.

Roger Feeley
03-14-2024, 3:22 PM
Yeach, my bad. Mistaking caliber for gauge tells you hat I’m not really a gun guy.

I called the local police department and they couldn’t tell me anything.

Rich Engelhardt
03-14-2024, 3:43 PM
Google shows three gun stores in Falls Church area.
Any of them would have the right answer.

Cameron Wood
03-14-2024, 3:47 PM
A gun with no ammunition is pretty safe, IMO.

I have a similar situation absent the storage requirement- My grandparents' single shot 22 rifle. I last fired it maybe 40 years ago when my son was young, I doubt it would even fire now.

Alan Rutherford
03-14-2024, 4:24 PM
... I doubt it would even fire now.

I wouldn't count on that.

Speaking as someone who was once a kid, I also wouldn't count on a gun being safe just because there is no ammo handy.

Roger Feeley
03-14-2024, 4:50 PM
I found a gun store in Arlington va. The guy says that the danger is pretty minimal (which I knew) and that he has some sort of cable lock I can put on it. He’s not comfortable working on a gun that old but he’s willing to inspect it to see if there is any corrosion. Then it will go back on a shelf in the shop for another couple of decades.

The gun is one of things that you kind of don’t want but it’s family…

Rob Luter
03-14-2024, 5:09 PM
I suspect the fact that it’s broken down, stored in a case of sorts, and there is no ammo on the premises = safe storage.

That said, Google is your friend here. I found the applicable statute in one search. You can too.

Mel Fulks
03-14-2024, 5:24 PM
A trigger lock would keep it from firing , but it could still be used to bang a head in, and it could be used by someone hiding in your house , while you are not
home. I like the keep it loaded , handy , and cleverly hidden, but easily accessed method.

Cameron Wood
03-14-2024, 6:27 PM
Well, the OP's current set up is certainly safer than the one above!

Bill George
03-14-2024, 6:44 PM
Wow talk about being paranoid, get a gun lock and install it yourself. Or take to a gun shop and sell it, just a 22 caliber rifle something like I grew up with.

Jim Becker
03-14-2024, 7:34 PM
Or take to a gun shop and sell it, just a 22 caliber rifle something like I grew up with.
You seem to have missed the point that there is sentimental value here. IE, it's not that it's a super duper rifle, it's the fact that it was the OP's dad's when his dad was a kid.

Lee DeRaud
03-14-2024, 7:37 PM
A trigger lock would keep it from firing , but it could still be used to bang a head in...

<sarcasm> I'm not sure there's enough room in my gun safe to store all my hammers. Suggestions? </sarcasm>

Bill George
03-14-2024, 8:40 PM
<sarcasm> I'm not sure there's enough room in my gun safe to store all my hammers. Suggestions? </sarcasm>
Heck we used to take our 22s on the school bus to go squirrel hunting at a friends after school. I suggested just getting rid of it since it’s clear none of them are gun people and will never use, or even handle, keepsake or not.

Bruce Wrenn
03-14-2024, 8:53 PM
Heck we used to take our 22s on the school bus to go squirrel hunting at a friends after school. I suggested just getting rid of it since it’s clear none of them are gun people and will never use, or even handle, keepsake or not.Ag class in basement of school had an indoor target range. Kids brought rifles to school on the bus. Practiced as part of agriculture course. Some schools actually had rifle teams. One kid, for show and tell would bring in one of the pistols he made.

Rob Luter
03-15-2024, 8:22 AM
Heck we used to take our 22s on the school bus to go squirrel hunting at a friends after school. I suggested just getting rid of it since it’s clear none of them are gun people and will never use, or even handle, keepsake or not.

Ag class in basement of school had an indoor target range. Kids brought rifles to school on the bus. Practiced as part of agriculture course. Some schools actually had rifle teams. One kid, for show and tell would bring in one of the pistols he made.

My youth was similar. You could buy rifles at the hardware store. My Winchester model 94 came from K-Mart. I'd come home from school and grab a gun, a vest, and a dog and go hunting the treelines for rabbits. I suspect that if a teenager with a long gun was seen in the same locale today someone would call the cops. Hayfields have turned into "country estates".

Maurice Mcmurry
03-15-2024, 9:26 AM
I have a picture of my sister and I boarding a Greyhound buss to go to Grandmas. I am carrying my shotgun in its Winchester cardboard box. I am sure I had shells too. I think I was 11 or 12.
I recently took to measures to secure all of the guns.

Bill George
03-15-2024, 10:49 AM
Correct all my handguns are locked in a safe place, long guns with trigger locks. Always treat all guns as loaded and never point a firearm at something you do not want to shoot. Learned proper gun handling at an early age. There may be a time when you wish you had one.

George Yetka
03-15-2024, 11:00 AM
Amazon search trigger lock. They are $12 it goes through the trigger guard making it impossible to fire. Cheaper than any safe.

Rich Engelhardt
03-15-2024, 11:51 AM
Amazon search trigger lock. They are $12 it goes through the trigger guard making it impossible to fire. Cheaper than any safe.That's not sufficient in New Jersey.
You need a locking container - or a safe.

Bill George
03-15-2024, 12:25 PM
That's not sufficient in New Jersey.
You need a locking container - or a safe.

The OP is not in NJ but in Virginia that is who George was replying too.

Mike Cutler
03-15-2024, 1:53 PM
I just read that Virginia requires safe storage. I have my dads 22ga rifle that he had when he was a kid. I don’t know exactly when he got it but it’s pretty old. He was born in 1908.

the gun breaks down into two pieces and is stored in some sort of long sock that’s supposed to prevent rust. The last time it was handled was probably 20 years ago when a gunsmith friend went through it. He applied lubricants/coatings with archiving in mind. The last time it was shot by me was over 50 years ago.

So the gun is sort of disassembled and stored in a sock. There’s no ammunition in the house. What doi need to do to comply with storage requirements? There’s no way I’m getting a gun safe. Is there a lockable case that’s not too big? I can always just keep my trap shut but I would rather follow the law.

second question. If I take the gun to a gunsmith, can it be rendered inoperable in a way that’s reversible by a gunsmith? The idea would be to discourage a kid.

third question: Would a trigger lock suffice?

Roger

It does not appear, from a simple google search, that the safe storage law has passed. It also appears that it is targeted at residences with minors, and or adults with known mental issue. You would have to ask that question to your local PD, and they may not even have the answer.
Don't let the term " Gun Safe" cause anxiety.A safe is a safe, and it can be used to store more things than guns. If the rifle breaks down as small as you're implying, it would be very inexpensive To buy a small 3 or 5 gun safe to secure it, and maybe put other things in there as well. It would cost more for a gunsmith to render it inoperable than a small safe.
I wouldn't be too concerned about its age.

Bill George
03-15-2024, 2:04 PM
Ditto what Mike just said, the only requirement is storage so a Minor can not access the firearm, no requirement for gun safe or other means. A gun lock is needed if you have children in the home and that is common sense. My guess he has got a old Stevens single shot lever 22 like my dad had, by the time I was able to use it was pretty well worn out!!

Lee DeRaud
03-15-2024, 2:44 PM
It would cost more for a gunsmith to render it inoperable than a small safe.

That seems highly unlikely: removing the firing pin takes maybe 5-10 minutes max.

Rich Engelhardt
03-15-2024, 4:15 PM
The OP is not in NJ but in Virginia that is who George was replying too.
I understand that. I am going on the presumption that George, who does live in NJ, might not be aware of the laws in his own state.

George Yetka
03-15-2024, 4:39 PM
I understand that. I am going on the presumption that George, who does live in NJ, might not be aware of the laws in his own state.

I have 5 seperate (full) gun safes. I was giving him a legitimate inexpensive solution for him. NJ is not an easy state to be a gun enthusiast in.

Lee DeRaud
03-15-2024, 6:01 PM
People on this thread seem to be sloppier than usual about who they're quoting/replying to. Just sayin'...

Roger Feeley
03-15-2024, 7:08 PM
There’s been discussion of minors. My living situation is a bit unusual. We built a house on our daughters land in Falls Church. We have no minors in our house but there are 4 grandchildren in the main house. Ages 8, 6 and 1yo twins. They aren’t yet to an age where I would worry but the day is coming. I like to be proactive.

Ronald Blue
03-15-2024, 8:37 PM
I have 5 seperate (full) gun safes. I was giving him a legitimate inexpensive solution for him. NJ is not an easy state to be a gun enthusiast in.

Try being in Illinois. It's probably a horse race to see who can pass the most anti-enthusiast laws. I will end it with that.

Ronald Blue
03-15-2024, 8:41 PM
There’s been discussion of minors. My living situation is a bit unusual. We built a house on our daughters land in Falls Church. We have no minors in our house but there are 4 grandchildren in the main house. Ages 8, 6 and 1yo twins. They aren’t yet to an age where I would worry but the day is coming. I like to be proactive.

Just get a hard side case that you can put a lock on. That will be more than sufficient.

Mike Cutler
03-16-2024, 2:07 AM
That seems highly unlikely: removing the firing pin takes maybe 5-10 minutes max.

Lee
CT has safe storage laws. To meet the requirement really isn’t difficult, or costly. It doesn’t have to be a standing floor safe. A lockable metal box would do it.

Yes, removing the firing pins only takes a few minutes. I remove them from my shotguns all the time.
If you’re a gunsmith, and you write a bill of sale that states you rendered a firearm inoperable, and all you did was remove the firing pin and hand it back to the customer, that would be an uncomfortable position to be in. I’m not sure that would be sufficient.
Granted, the firing pin for his rifle is obsolete and probably impossible to replace. I don’t know that it would meet the definition of inoperable to just simply remove it.
Again though, he needs to check with the authorities in VA. To understand his legal requirements. The internet won’t have his answer.

Rich Engelhardt
03-16-2024, 9:02 AM
I'm glad to know you are aware of the laws in NJ.
I incorrectly assumed you were unaware of the law in NJ.
Forgive me if I annoyed you.

Threads like this are filled with so much misinformation I would rather risk annoying someone by making an assumption instead of risking letting someone run into a felony charge over bad information.

Jack Frederick
03-16-2024, 9:45 AM
I lost my best friend at 9 yrs old to another friend who was showing off his father’s shotgun. Sweetest kid you ever saw. I actually lost both of them that day. It just took John 10 yrs of suffering to kill himself in a drunken wreck. These things happen! Also a gun owner of some 60+ yrs. My experience informs all of my gun related decisions. I have my Grands around every day. My guns are so locked down that if anyone breaks in I’ll hit’em with a stick. I can’t have it any other way. I have some of my Grandfather’s and Dad’s weapons. All are in excellent operable condition. I attach no sentimental value to a gun. It is purely a weapon. My kids don’t want them and I am disposing of them one by one. It was difficult to sell the Model 92, but I hadn’t shot it in years and I use the 500 all the time. I’ve taken the Porta-band to a couple. Roger, honestly, I would say get rid of it. Gift it to someone who will bring it back and enjoy it. There is no end to the ingenuity of an inquisitive child.

Michael Schuch
03-16-2024, 5:03 PM
In Oregon putting a trigger lock on a firearm is considered safe storage. In Oregon a gun can not be transferred without a trigger lock or other locking storage device accompanying the transfer.

Any of these would qualify for securing a firearm in Oregon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trigger+lock&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

The gun shops buy the cheap $4.95 red plastic trigger locks with the 2 pin screw head in bulk and include them with every firearm to meet the safe storage law requirement.

Ken Combs
03-16-2024, 8:00 PM
I'm curious as to the actual gun in question. 22 that breaks down into two pieces causes me to picture a couple of very interesting pump action models. I've never encountered a bolt gun with that breakdown feature.

Michael Schuch
03-28-2024, 9:34 PM
I'm curious as to the actual gun in question. 22 that breaks down into two pieces causes me to picture a couple of very interesting pump action models. I've never encountered a bolt gun with that breakdown feature.

I am not familiar with any 22cal rifles that break down either (Other than a Ruger 10/22 takedown rifle which doesn't jive with the vintage of the OP). On a 12, 20 or 410 gauge shotgun breaking down into 2 pieces would be quite common.

Roger Feeley
03-28-2024, 10:03 PM
A friend gave me a cable lock so I had the gun out. It’s a Winchester model 12 22 long rifle. Based on the serial number, it was manufactured in 1920. That jives with my dads story. He would have been 12 years old in 1920.

Did I give some indication that it was bolt action? It’s a pump gun. As I recall, it holds about 10 rounds.

Im pretty satisfied with the security. None of the individual steps I’ve taken is perfect but, in aggregate, they aren’t bad.

Bill George
03-29-2024, 10:28 AM
A friend gave me a cable lock so I had the gun out. It’s a Winchester model 12 22 long rifle. Based on the serial number, it was manufactured in 1920. That jives with my dads story. He would have been 12 years old in 1920.

Did I give some indication that it was bolt action? It’s a pump gun. As I recall, it holds about 10 rounds.

Im pretty satisfied with the security. None of the individual steps I’ve taken is perfect but, in aggregate, they aren’t bad.

Just don't lose that key. Winchester Model 12 is a pump shotgun, you might want to recheck.

Roger Feeley
03-29-2024, 11:34 AM
Just don't lose that key. Winchester Model 12 is a pump shotgun, you might want to recheck.
oops. Remington model 12.
I don’t care about the key. I threw the keys away. If I ever want to assemble it, an angle grinder should cut the cable. If that doesn’t work, cutting torch.

James Tibbetts
03-29-2024, 12:01 PM
Frequently the phrase "safe storage" is taken to mean "storage in a safe" as opposed to the more common legal requirement of secure storage. Sometimes it's the same, but more often it isn't.
On a side note Marlin made millions of "take down" .22 rifles. Models 39 and 39A from 1921-2007. Loosen the thumb screw; cock the hammer and they separate into two sections. This Model 39 is from about 1926.

Tom M King
03-29-2024, 9:48 PM
I have one of those model 12's that belonged to my Father's family. They were used in county and state fairs in the booths to shoot at moving targets with 22 shorts. Family history says that my Grandmother used to shoot groundhogs in the garden from the kitchen door with it. It was kept beside a pie safe in the kitchen for decades after she died in 1968, loaded ready to go to work just like she always kept it. I remember them letting me shoot it when I was five or six out that kitchen door.

Does yours have an octagon or a round barrel?

Larry Edgerton
04-05-2024, 7:35 PM
I was born in a gun shop. My dad was a gunsmith. I have been wrangling with what to do with my small but highly prized collection. Not that many but all of good pedigree. I have three daughters, none of whom want anything to do with guns. They are worth too much to let them get destroyed, several are handmade customs.

Larry Edgerton
04-05-2024, 7:40 PM
oops. Remington model 12.
I don’t care about the key. I threw the keys away. If I ever want to assemble it, an angle grinder should cut the cable. If that doesn’t work, cutting torch.

Model 12's are one of the finest working guns ever made. I learned with one, and was spoiled for life. When dad passed he gave it to my brother. I offered him a Browning Superposed for it, no dice.

Larry Edgerton
04-05-2024, 7:45 PM
I have one of those model 12's that belonged to my Father's family. They were used in county and state fairs in the booths to shoot at moving targets with 22 shorts. Family history says that my Grandmother used to shoot groundhogs in the garden from the kitchen door with it. It was kept beside a pie safe in the kitchen for decades after she died in 1968, loaded ready to go to work just like she always kept it. I remember them letting me shoot it when I was five or six out that kitchen door.

Remington 22 pump with an octagon barrel would probably be a Model 1890. Amazing gun to carry and shoot, perfect balance.

Does yours have an octagon or a round barrel?

Remington 22 pump with an octagon barrel would probably be a Model 1890. Amazing gun to carry and shoot, perfect balance.

Alan Rutherford
04-06-2024, 7:00 AM
I was born in a gun shop. My dad was a gunsmith. I have been wrangling with what to do with my small but highly prized collection. Not that many but all of good pedigree. I have three daughters, none of whom want anything to do with guns. They are worth too much to let them get destroyed, several are handmade customs.

You can be sure that when the time comes someone will be there to relieve your daughters of your collection, if you don't do it first.

BTW, I don't see a lot of women shooting at the range but those who are are prettty darn good.

Bill George
04-06-2024, 7:57 AM
I have a close to me gun shop who is more than fair when I purchase or trade guns, my wife has been told to take all over there and let them sell.

Jim Becker
04-06-2024, 9:53 AM
Since you know the value and desirability of the items in your collection and there's no interest in the family, make provisions now so that you can at least pass on the value, rather than leaving the task for your family where they might not benefit well "disposing" of the collection themselves. This kind of thing isn't limited to firearms...there are many things we might individually enjoy and know the value of that our families do not know and appreciate. Make a plan in advance.

Ron Selzer
04-06-2024, 5:29 PM
Since you know the value and desirability of the items in your collection and there's no interest in the family, make provisions now so that you can at least pass on the value, rather than leaving the task for your family where they might not benefit well "disposing" of the collection themselves. This kind of thing isn't limited to firearms...there are many things we might individually enjoy and know the value of that our families do not know and appreciate. Make a plan in advance.

Make it a point to have my wife talk to the family auctioneer every time we pick up something from one of his online auctions. She has been told and I need to print out that if I go before cleaning out my junk. To contact him, contact and schedule the moving company, rent the AAA building at the fairgrounds for the auction. Get a check when all is done.
ron

Rick Potter
04-08-2024, 11:18 PM
This thread piques my interest, and I took a look at my old Winchester Model 1906 that shoots only 22 shorts. A distant family member got it new for varmints in Montana (?). Got it from my Aunt who got it from another relative. We have an old family photo, which has the original owner (name lost). We all called him the 'Horse Thief', because of his looks.

Also have owned a Marlin 39A for 50 years. Never knew it broke down. Never know what you will learn on here.

My best one is a 70 (?) caliber 1810 Brown Bess. Too chicken to try firing it, even though I am told it is safe.

Mike Henderson
04-09-2024, 12:22 PM
While not a break-down, I had a .22 rifle in my youth and I could remove the stock, which would make it shorter to store.

Things were a lot different when I was a kid. As a senior in high school, we did a western themed play and everyone brought their handguns as props for the play. I borrowed a .45 revolver because my family only had long guns.

Mike

Rich Engelhardt
04-10-2024, 9:22 AM
Speaking of different "back then".
When I was in 3rd grade, a game called "stretch" became popular.
2 kids would stand facing each other and flip a knife into the ground by the other's foot.
If the knife stuck in the ground, you had to stretch your foot to where then knife was.
You went back and forth and each took a turn until one or the other was stretched out so far they fell down.

It became insanely popular at school and every day at recess there were hundreds of kids in the field behind the school throwing knives at each other.
Since bigger knives were easier to get to stick in the ground, the knives became much bigger. Pretty soon, large fixed blade hunting knives filled the air.

It was all good clean fun & I don't recall anyone getting hurt - aside from a small cut now and again.

Larry Edgerton
04-13-2024, 9:02 AM

Ya, need to do that now that I figured out I am not immortal. Have a book collection to think about too.