PDA

View Full Version : 3 years and nine months

Bill Carey
03-12-2024, 3:18 PM
After 3 years and 9 months I finally went into the shop. It's remarkable what time made me forget - I had to watch a dovetail video to get it back in my head what to do. And then there's the muscle memory ( or not ) that goes away. My son's in law made the shop usable about 6 months ago, finally, but a relapse stopped me from going in there. But today was the day. Started with cutting some dovetails but I'm sure they'll suck judging from the tails I've cut. I'll finish tomorrow if I feel ok and see how bad they are. But at least I'm back doing something after all this time. Sure feels good to make some sawdust again. I'll start with the power tools on a day that I don't need the pain pills - they make me a bit unsteady and the table saw isn't something I want to tangle with when I'm doing a bit of narco floating, ya know. Any way, I have 2 walnut plant stands in the near future.

Frederick Skelly
03-12-2024, 3:23 PM
Glad you’re able to get back to it! Sounds like you’re taking a slow, sensible approach.
Look forward to seeing a pic of those plant stands.
Be well,
Fred

Patrick McCarthy
03-12-2024, 3:40 PM
Bill, good to see your post, and happy to hear the journey continues. All steps forward, even baby steps, are a positive.

Best to you, sir. Patrick

Steve Jenkins
03-12-2024, 3:41 PM
Glad to see you’re back at it. Enjoy and don’t overdo

Ron Citerone
03-12-2024, 4:01 PM
Wonderful news that you are back making chips! Good luck going forward!

Dave Anderson NH
03-12-2024, 4:31 PM
Great news Bill. You're going to have to work up to speed slowly. Don't push too far too fast.

Brian Runau
03-12-2024, 6:05 PM
Good for you. Brian

Jim Becker
03-12-2024, 7:11 PM
Wow...I was going nuts with just a month or two of not being able to go into the shop due to a recent surgery. I can only imagine what 3 years and nine months feels like! Congratulations, Bill!! You'll get your skilz back lickety split!

Bill Carey
03-12-2024, 7:22 PM
Thx for the well wishes folks - much appreciated. Here's the output from the first day back. 2 outa 3 aint bad, I guess........ The right side was to tight so I tried hand trimming with a chisel. After getting the bandaids on, I screwed it up by taking way too much off.

Earl McLain
03-12-2024, 9:05 PM
Don't sweat the fit of the dovetails, celebrate that you get to be back in the shop!! Glad to know you're doing better, hang in there!!

Jim Becker
03-13-2024, 9:32 AM
Thx for the well wishes folks - much appreciated. Here's the output from the first day back. 2 outa 3 aint bad, I guess........ The right side was to tight so I tried hand trimming with a chisel. After getting the bandaids on, I screwed it up by taking way too much off.
No worries...that's an easy fix with shin shims inserted and glued in at an angle and trimmed. They literally disappear!

Lisa Starr
03-13-2024, 2:12 PM
Bill,

Who cares about the fit of the dovetails! I had my fair share of time out of the shop after a cancer diagnosis and a relapse. From my experience, take your time, enjoy the experience when you're able and don't over do it. The skills come back and you quickly appreciate much smaller goals. Glad you're back!

Thomas L Carpenter
03-13-2024, 2:34 PM
You're not alone. I just got back into it a few days ago after two years. We moved back to the North to be around family so someone can look after my sons after, well just after. We are in a condo now and space is a real problem. Most large power tools are in the garage on wheels and what won't fit is in the basement. First thing I noticed is whatever I needed was always downstairs and I still don't do stairs well but like you I really enjoy seeing sawdust on the floor again.

Mark Rainey
03-13-2024, 3:42 PM
Bill, good to see you back in action - I am sure it is a sweet feeling!

Alan Lightstone
03-15-2024, 9:20 AM
Great to see you back making sawdust, Bill. Slow and steady wins the race here. And 2/3 is a gazillion times better than 0/3 years.

Bob Jones 5443
03-15-2024, 12:55 PM
Bill, I’m happy for you and glad you celebrated your return to the shop with a thread here! I’ve taken more than a few long breaks, and it’s always great to get back in there. It’s a wonderful hobby. Enjoy.

glenn bradley
03-15-2024, 3:16 PM
Wonderful news Bill. Congrats. Woodworkers as a rule are not the best folks to be kept idle. Getting back to sawing on something must have been very satisfying.

Daniel O'Neill
03-15-2024, 3:37 PM
Congrats on your shop time! Enjoy.

(I think you're dovetails look better than mine :)