PDA

View Full Version : Recessed panel doors

Don Voegel
02-20-2003, 3:18 PM
I am making an EC which will have 2 upper flipper doors (17x37) and 2 lower doors (17x20) with recessed cherry ply panels and solid cherry rails and stiles. Can the dadoes in the rails and stiles be more than say 1/4" deep (maybe 1") for more support? Also, can the ply panels be glued for even more support?

Lee Schierer
02-20-2003, 3:58 PM
I believe since your panel area is to be plywood, it would be acceptable to glue it in place on all four sides if added strength is desired. Plywood does is not subject to the seasonal moisture dimension changes the way tha solid woood would be.

Bob Boake
02-20-2003, 5:05 PM
lots of doors have been made without glueing in the center panel and I'm not sure if there is a good reason to start now. Properly fitted rails and stiles are very strong once all glued up. most damage to doors that I have seen is the result of trying to open a door 180 degrees when it only has a 120 degree hinge. A door only has to carry little more than its' own weight. If you need one to carry a lot more than that you might want to look into an alternate method of door construction.

J.R. Rutter
02-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Most commercial cabinet doors are 7/16" to 1/2" deep on the groove. I've seen doors sagging due to broken glue lines (due to abuse like Bob mentioned). Glueing in the plywood panel would help with strength.
-JR