PDA

View Full Version : What do you call non-alcoholic carbonated beverages;

Lee Schierer
03-11-2024, 10:20 PM
I was reading the other thread regard the name used for carbonated beverages and decided to make the poll that Ole suggested

William Lessenberry
03-12-2024, 1:07 AM
Dr, Pepper;)
BillL

Rob Luter
03-12-2024, 6:12 AM
In this part of the country it's Pop.

Chuck Saunders
03-12-2024, 8:22 AM
For me it’s soft drink but the vending machine is a pop or Coke machine.
Chuck

roger wiegand
03-12-2024, 8:34 AM
Near beer? Fizzy water? Seltzer?

Pop when I was growing up in Ohio, soda for most of my life in CA, MO, and MA, and tonic now when conversing with people who grew up around Boston.

Edward Weber
03-12-2024, 9:53 AM
I call it soda but I'm surprised Nehi didn't make the list

Malcolm Schweizer
03-12-2024, 10:01 AM
I’m from the Deep South. It’s Coke, no matter what brand it actually is, except if it’s RC Cola, which you ask for by name, and you also should order a moon pie to go with it.

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2024, 10:43 AM
I’m from the Deep South. It’s Coke, no matter what brand it actually is, except if it’s RC Cola, which you ask for by name, and you also should order a moon pie to go with it.
They still make those?!?

Lee DeRaud
03-12-2024, 10:45 AM
I call it soda but I'm surprised Nehi didn't make the list
As many New England (specifically Maine) people as we have here, I was expecting to see Moxie on the list somewhere.

Edward Weber
03-12-2024, 10:49 AM
As many New England (specifically Maine) people as we have here, I was expecting to see Moxie on the list somewhere.
I haven't heard Moxie in years, good one.

Rick Potter
03-12-2024, 2:26 PM
I voted none of the above. Where I live, and in most of the south west, there are so many transplants who bring their preconceptions with them, that I don't see one name being used most. Soda, pop, coke, and coca are all heard pretty equally, with coca gaining in 'pop'ularity.

I can see one name being fairly universal in other, more geographically inbred, areas of the country, but things in the southwest are more fluid.

With that observation, I will head to my shelter.

Ken Combs
03-12-2024, 2:31 PM
I voted non of the above. But that's not really true, I use Coke when I want a Coke, Root Beer when I want a root beer etc. I don't think I've ever heard someone in my area use a generic term for all carbonated beverages.

Earl McLain
03-12-2024, 8:34 PM
I voted non of the above. But that's not really true, I use Coke when I want a Coke, Root Beer when I want a root beer etc. I don't think I've ever heard someone in my area use a generic term for all carbonated beverages.

Agreed, except for root beer. If i'm out and have a root beer urge, i ask what they have--and rarely does a place have one i want to drink. I'm persnickity that way...i want a RB made from cane sugar in a glass bottle (or made on site). One of the nice things about going to a Mexican restaurant is being able to get a Mexican Coke, though both of the grocery stores in our town now stock that--more like the Coca-Cola i remember from my youth. I rarely drink soft drinks, even more rarely i have a mainstream US soft drink.

Alan Rutherford
03-13-2024, 9:13 AM
For me it’s soft drink but the vending machine is a pop or Coke machine.
Chuck

I agree with Chuck and FWIW, I've lived major parts of my life in 3 different parts of the country (NW, SE and E) and none are where Chuck lives.

Maurice Mcmurry
03-13-2024, 9:50 AM
It was Pepsi when Dads shop was qualified to be on the Pepsi wholesale delivery route. 12 OZ. return for deposit glass bottles. I occasionally wore him down with my begging for Dad's Root Beer and we would have a case of Dad's Root Beer in the shop fridge too. The alleged limit was two a day. When the shop relocated to a shared space with Chucks Choppers we started drinking Coke as Chuck was on the Coke sales route. Chucks chest vending machine for 12 OZ bottles was also stocked with Heineken. During the betrayal of "New Coke" it was RC and Dr. Pepper. We are back to Coke again these days and we call it Coke.

The little town near our wood lot still has an A&W. It is hard to pass by without stopping for a frosty mug of Root Beer. I hope they stay in business.

According to Ted Willams Moxie is what you want. My Father In Law is a Moxie drinker too.

Edward Weber
03-13-2024, 10:19 AM
Out here in CA, the Costco or Sams, can't remember which, sells "Real" Coke in glass bottles, made with sugar by the case.
Nice to have on hand for those rare occasions or for a mixer.

Rich Engelhardt
03-13-2024, 10:23 AM
Growing up - we only had Canada Dry Ginger Ale in the house - and that only because my dad liked a "high ball" for dinner every so often. It was a 50's thing.

Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks, while not banned - just weren't supported - if you wanted one, you used your allowance money to buy it.
5 cents a bottle down at the Gulf gas station on Rt 19 & they sure didn't let you forget the $.02 deposit on the bottle!

We never really had a generic "pop' or "soda". Everything was called by name - Coke, Pepsi, Vernor's , Chocolate Soldier, Grape Nehi, Orange Crush, Tab - to name a few.

I joined the 'pop' camp when I met my wife and she dragged an addiction to the garbage into the house.

I'm surprised to not see Royal Crown Cola - RC Cola - RC - on the list. That was always huge south of the Mason Dixon. There's even a song about RC and a Moonpie.

Pat Germain
03-13-2024, 3:19 PM
Growing up - we only had Canada Dry Ginger Ale in the house - and that only because my dad liked a "high ball" for dinner every so often. It was a 50's thing.

Coke, Pepsi and other soft drinks, while not banned - just weren't supported - if you wanted one, you used your allowance money to buy it.
5 cents a bottle down at the Gulf gas station on Rt 19 & they sure didn't let you forget the $.02 deposit on the bottle!

We never really had a generic "pop' or "soda". Everything was called by name - Coke, Pepsi, Vernor's , Chocolate Soldier, Grape Nehi, Orange Crush, Tab - to name a few.

I joined the 'pop' camp when I met my wife and she dragged an addiction to the garbage into the house.

I'm surprised to not see Royal Crown Cola - RC Cola - RC - on the list. That was always huge south of the Mason Dixon. There's even a song about RC and a Moonpie.

We had RC Cola in Southern California in the 1970s. My friends and I would walk to local liquor store and each buy a ten cent bottle of RC. RC had a promotion where they had prizes under the bottle caps. We could win a free RC or some change. We thought that was amazing. Then we could bring the bottles back and get a few more cents!

Allan Dozier
03-13-2024, 9:21 PM
In the deep South we would say somebody needs to bring the cokes. I occasionally heard the term soft drinks but never Soda or especially never Pop.

Bruce Page
03-13-2024, 11:14 PM
Dr, Pepper;)
BillL

Yep, I've been a Pepper most of my life. I limit myself to one a week now. :(

Patty Hann
03-13-2024, 11:18 PM
Well folks, SODA has been closing in on POP, narrowing a sizable gap.
The rest of the field lags far behind.
This is a two label race, folks, SODA and POP are now neck-and-neck.
Looks like it might be a photo-finish! Stay tuned!

roger wiegand
03-14-2024, 8:31 AM
Here's a map of soda vs pop vs coke usage in the US.

Patty Hann
03-14-2024, 8:37 AM
Here's a map of soda vs pop vs coke usage in the US.

Fascinating... thanks for posting that, Roger.

I have to wonder how that that SODA island in MO came about, considering that it is surrounded by Pop and Coke.
The "Soda Island" encompasses ST Louis, were I grew up, so of course I would say "soda".

Earl McLain
03-15-2024, 1:34 PM
Fascinating... thanks for posting that, Roger.

I have to wonder how that that SODA island in MO came about, considering that it is surrounded by Pop and Coke.
The "Soda Island" encompasses ST Louis, were I grew up, so of course I would say "soda".

Yeah, it's kind of easy to understand the South Florida "soda" from the amount of migration from the northeast. Really, the same with California too. The little white spaces must be where they call it beer or 'shine!!

Lee Schierer
03-19-2024, 9:34 PM
Well it's a tie at the moment, but there is still time to show your opinion.