PDA

View Full Version : Combination Square Parts

Jerry Bruette
03-06-2024, 5:28 PM
I have a Craftsman combination square that no longer clamps in position. The nub that rides in the groove is rounded over and no longer holds. Are repair parts available? Here's a picture of what I need.

Carroll Courtney
03-06-2024, 5:35 PM
Wonder if you purchase one from HF if inners would work?

Aaron Inami
03-06-2024, 7:38 PM
Craftsman doesn't do this kind of thing anymore. If you really want to try to repair your square, I would search ebay for a used Craftsman combination square. That being said, you can get really cheap combination squares from Amazon / Home Depot.

Edward Weber
03-06-2024, 7:49 PM
I have one that looks just like that.
Now I have a steel straight edge and a setup angle block, instead of a combination square :rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
03-06-2024, 8:17 PM
It shouldn't be too time consuming to make one from a bolt with the appropriate thread size using a hand grinder or a file.

Jerry Bruette
03-06-2024, 8:23 PM
It shouldn't be too time consuming to make one from a bolt with the appropriate thread size using a hand grinder or a file.

Never thought of making one. That would give me a nice project.

Jerry Bruette
03-06-2024, 8:24 PM
I have one that looks just like that.
Now I have a steel straight edge and a setup angle block, instead of a combination square :rolleyes:

But I'd rather have the square.

Justin Rapp
03-06-2024, 10:21 PM
Just buy a new square! I have a craftsman combo square I got years ago when I had a giftcard to Sears. It wasn't very expensive and there are plenty of equal quality squares on the market in the same quality level for under $20. I also have a woodpeckers combination square and the indexable stops and holes for marking your work are really a world of difference, however I am sure you know it will not be cheap.

Bill Dufour
03-07-2024, 1:05 AM
Wonder if Starrett would fit? Probably cheaper to buy a decent quality square then new Starrett parts.
Bill D

Patrick Varley
03-07-2024, 7:45 AM
Taylor Tools works sells a replacement for PEC squares. May be similar enough, and potentially worth a try for $10 plus shipping.

https://taytools.com/products/replacement-screw-assembly-pec-12-18-24

Edward Weber
03-07-2024, 8:32 AM
Taylor Tools works sells a replacement for PEC squares. May be similar enough, and potentially worth a try for $10 plus shipping.

https://taytools.com/products/replacement-screw-assembly-pec-12-18-24

Thanks for the link, might jave to give it a try

Curt Harms
03-07-2024, 9:03 AM
Craftsman doesn't do this kind of thing anymore. If you really want to try to repair your square, I would search ebay for a used Craftsman combination square. That being said, you can get really cheap combination squares from Amazon / Home Depot.

I think the Empire combination squares at Home Depot are made in the U.S. if that matters. Are Empire squares equal in quality to the better Starrett? Most probably not but I can't measure the difference in accuracy. Readability? Starrett is probably better but again, I can read the Empire just fine. PEC is another quality brand and may be available as seconds from Harry Epstein but I have no experience with them.

Jimmy Harris
03-07-2024, 9:37 AM
This is what I would do, unless the Craftsman has special meaning to you. New combination squares are pretty cheap and are going to most likely be more accurate than old ones. A lot of older tools are better made than newer ones. But squares aren't one of them. Modern machines do a better job with accuracy like this than old machines or human hands.

I have the Empire square, and the only real downside I've noticed with it in the last 5 years of owning it is the numbers are printed on, not etched. But they haven't worn off yet, so that hasn't become a problem. I don't know how accurate it is, but if I score a line, flip the square over and score another line, they run parallel. So it's probably within 0.1° of each other or better. More than accurate enough for any wood work.

Frederick Skelly
03-07-2024, 10:05 AM
I’m sorry but I don’t know where to get replacement parts for that. As someone already said, it wouldn’t be hard to make one.

An aside. I think whether it’s better to repair vs replace has a lot of factors, some of which were already mentioned. But personally, I get some pleasure out of repairing a small item and then using it regularly in my (hobby) shop. Can’t tell you why. It’s not woodworking, but it’s enjoyable. (But I also like making tools and making things that organize my shop. For me, it’s not all about making furniture- for me. Maybe I’m odd that way.)

Edward Weber
03-07-2024, 11:29 AM
One of the main issue with making this piece, is that it needs to be hardened. There is a lot of stress put on the small tang that holds the rule.
Also the threads need to be the correct length, too long and they will dig into the body, too short and you cant tighten the clamping enough.
Things to consider for those who like to tinker with such things.

Jim Becker
03-07-2024, 11:40 AM
While there may be merit in trying to create a replacement piece just because it's interesting, for something like this that needs to work reliably and stay "square", I'd just buy a replacement square of good quality and move on. Using parts from other sources is certainly a possibility, but I suspect there is risk with an exact match and I say that from experience. I have both a Starrett combination square and a smaller Starrett "regular" square. A few years ago, I bought new scales for them as I wanted/needed metric scales. They were purchased from Lee Valley and are excellent. The rule for the combination was an absolutely perfect fit. The one for the smaller square works fine, but is harder to keep locked because there is some slight variability in the casting...it's an older square I bought pre-owned many years ago. The combo was also bought pre-owned, but was in like new condition and a newer vintage. So sourcing parts across brands "could" present minor (or major) fit differences "just because" there's no standard here.

Mel Fulks
03-07-2024, 12:45 PM
I had to buy that piece from Starrette , Don’t know if it would fit a different brand. I don’t think it had broken, think I was cleaning and
oiling it ….that’s how stuff gets lost ! The piece was cheap and sent quickly.

Andrew Seemann
03-07-2024, 3:29 PM
I have a blemished PEC that I picked up on the Bay a year or two ago. It is a fairly decent combo square. Not a Starrett but perfectly servicable. The main difference from the Starrett is that the gradations are photo etched on the PEC vs mechanically etched on the Starrett, which means they aren't quite as easy to read for old eyes.

I think the "blemish" was a little variation in how dark the gradations were, but I am not certain.

Earl McLain
03-07-2024, 6:35 PM
I have a blemished PEC that I picked up on the Bay a year or two ago. It is a fairly decent combo square. Not a Starrett but perfectly servicable. The main difference from the Starrett is that the gradations are photo etched on the PEC vs mechanically etched on the Starrett, which means they aren't quite as easy to read for old eyes.

I think the "blemish" was a little variation in how dark the gradations were, but I am not certain.

I picked up a few blemished PEC double squares from Harry Epstein--wonderful and i have no idea what the blemishes are. (i am addicted to double squares--incredibly handy to me, your mileage may vary!!)

Maurice Mcmurry
03-07-2024, 8:14 PM

This can indeed be done caveman style (assuming the caveman has a file, a bolt and a few other tools). I used a grade 5 bolt & knew any old steel would be an improvement over die cast.

Here is a snip from a post last summer when I was working with out electricity.
"I spent most of an hour on a rainy day carving a new bolt for FIL’s square that I dropped. A silly undertaking that turned out OK."
https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=508435&d=1696297285&thumb=1 (https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=508435&d=1696297285)https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=508436&d=1696297379&thumb=1 (https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=508436&d=1696297379)https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=508437&d=1696297449&thumb=1 (https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=508437&d=1696297449)

Jerry Bruette
03-07-2024, 8:23 PM
Well this caveman rubbed a file against a socket head screw this afternoon. Cobbled one together and it works. It's yet to be seen how long it will last.