PDA

View Full Version : Small Parts Organizer Storage Rack

Doug Walls
03-05-2024, 2:39 PM
Has anyone made a Adam Savage Sortimo style rack system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPSbF6kM9k&t=220s for the cheaper Harbor Freight or Stanley style organizers.

I managed to pick up 8 large & 16 small Harbor Freight organizers during a sale that HF recently had.
Because of Harbor Freights coupon policy's & item limits it took me 4-days & trips to two different stores to get them all, but I ended up saving 30% on all of them!

I'm looking for some ideas of how to make the rack system for them. :rolleyes:
The normal style set-up where you just remove the whole organizer would be the easiest, but in my garage any flat surface with over 1sq-foot usually gets something piled up on it. :eek:

I've thought about using trays/shelves with full extension drawer slides so that the organizer can stay in the rack & still allow the lid to open, but I'm not sure the added expense is really worth it?

Something like this one shown here: https://youtu.be/0--7CZCVngM?t=709 that has a pull-out shelf would probably work. At-least with a pull-out shelf, it shouldn't get piled up with stuff. As long as I push it back in when it's not needed. :o

Doug

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2024, 3:16 PM
You might consider building a frame with 1/4" dadoes in the sides. Make shelves out of 1/4"hard board and mount the containers to the shelves.

Bert McMahan
03-05-2024, 4:21 PM
I built a system based off that Wesley Treat video and have absolutely loved it. I modified mine a bit due to space constraints, but it's been amazing at keeping things organized. I wouldn't put the organizers in individual drawers- that will cost a fortune in drawer slides and extra drawer material, and it's simpler to grab a box then put it at a convenient level. I didn't do a full drawer in mine, just a thin sheet of plywood that sticks out big enough to set one of the units on. Bending over to get to the bottom ones, opening the clasps, then fishing around would be a pain- it's much easier to yoink the container out of the slot and plop it on a pull-out shelf.

Plus, the fact that it sticks out is something of a plus- it makes me want to actually put things away, since otherwise I'd be bumping into the drawer all the time.

BTW, Wesley's been talking about adding plans for that to his website at some point but it's not available yet. Of course the HF ones are a little different from the Stanley ones so you'd have to adjust the size anyway.

George Yetka
03-05-2024, 4:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUzeYJ3hl4&t=1s

Something like this but less of an arc. you dont need it to tilt as far

George Yetka
03-05-2024, 4:32 PM
My second offering would be to have the entire rack raised and have a slideout shelf at the bottom so that you pull out resting spot remove the sortimo and place it on the shelf then put it back and slide shelf back in.

Tom M King
03-05-2024, 5:34 PM
I can find what I'm looking for usually easiest in our local Ace Hardware aisles. I gave up trying to keep enough here other than fasteners I use frequently.

Doug Walls
03-05-2024, 9:06 PM
I built a system based off that Wesley Treat video and have absolutely loved it. I modified mine a bit due to space constraints.
Yeah, I would do the same thing! I wouldn't need the added drawers & mine wouldn't be as tall.

I wouldn't put the organizers in individual drawers- that will cost a fortune in drawer slides and extra drawer material
I wasn't thinking of actual individual drawers, more like shelves/trays that would hold the organizers. I saw this type of set-up with slides that looks like it would work good. The HF organizers have a recessed area in-between two tabs that allows a thin piece or wood to be used to locate the container.

The added cost of the drawer slides is a concern, But as you pointed out!
Bending over to get to the bottom ones, opening the clasps, then fishing around would be a pain, and it's simpler to grab a box then put it at a convenient level.

Maybe a combination of the two styles, slides on the upper section & pull-out slots for the lower section?

Doug

Jim McCue
03-05-2024, 10:44 PM
I built a rack that's been holding up so far. I just used 1/4" "lattice" from Lowes on the side of the case, the sides of the cases slide over them.

This youtube video was the most helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02itX-iYWKU It also shows to angle the front ends of the rails so they don't stop abruptly when pushed in.

Interesting to note the double height ones don't need special slides made for them, they just take up two slots instead of one.

glenn bradley
03-05-2024, 11:00 PM
Similar tackle boxes, similar challenge.

I tend to keep it simple. I must have 50 or so of this format now. Very happy with the system.

Patty Hann
03-06-2024, 12:37 AM
Similar tackle boxes, similar challenge.

I tend to keep it simple. I must have 50 or so of this format now. Very happy with the system.
Glenn, are the shelves fixed in place or do they slide out?

glenn bradley
03-06-2024, 1:10 AM
Glenn, are the shelves fixed in place or do they slide out?
Fixed. All my tackle boxes are the same form factor. :)

Patty Hann
03-06-2024, 4:27 AM
Fixed. All my tackle boxes are the same form factor. :)
Thanks.

I have a lot of small parts (for my Steampunk builds) in similar tackle boxes and plan to build a cabinet for them very much like yours.
I couldn't see any reason to make sliding shelves when the boxes themselves can be slid out.
But I was curious as to how you did yours.

Carroll Courtney
03-06-2024, 7:14 AM
See what you started Doug, 😊 now I know how to use discount codes, coupons
Lots good ideas going on in this post

Dave Sabo
03-06-2024, 7:36 AM
Being you’re a fan of the Toob, I’m surprised you haven’t wanted this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--7CZCVngM&t=709s

Seems to be everything you asked for.

George Yetka
03-06-2024, 8:22 AM

Seems to be everything you asked for.

This is what I was thinking.

Doug Walls
03-06-2024, 9:43 AM
See what you started Doug,  now I know how to use discount codes, coupons
Yeah, those Harbor Freight coupons are their way of trying to get you back in the store more.

I used the same process of going to different stores & different days to get my current US General series 2 toolbox setup before HF switched to the new series 3 toolboxes.
Getting the toolboxes started this "Rabbit Hole" of trying to organize things better in my garage. :eek:
Note the gray organizers in the above pic! They were originally mounted to the wall right where the toolboxes are.

Doug

Doug Walls
03-06-2024, 9:51 AM
Yeah, that's why I had the link in my original post.
I'm probably going to use at-least a version of that set-up.

Doug

Ricc Havens
03-06-2024, 10:03 AM
Doug - I don't have the sortimo or HF boxes. But I like Adam Savage. The video you posted is an old one of his. Last week he posted he was going to change the storage rack and was protyping his design. Thought you might find it interesting (although I have to admit a potentially expensive solution) Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIvuFLn_xY

Jimmy Harris
03-06-2024, 10:34 AM
I just do whatever you think it easiest and/or cheapest. But I'd make sure that whatever you do, it's easy to remove the whole box. Don't unnecessarily over complicate it. I've got tons of little parts storage, and I've found that you often don't know exactly what you need when you go to look for it. So it often makes things easier if you can take out a box or two of parts that look like what you might need and then take it over to what you're working on, rather than trying to take what you're working on over to the storage boxes.

I actually have my boxes in several different places, depending on what's in them. I decided against putting everything into one cabinet, as it makes them less organized in my mind. Just being small isn't a good reason to keep them all together to me. So I have screws, nuts, bolts, washers and stuff near my hand tools. Resistors, capacitors, inductors, IC's near my soldering and electronics testing equipment. Bearings, gears, spacers, bushings, in a closet. Fishing gear near the boat, etc. But do whatever you deem most efficient. What matters most is that it makes sense to you, so you don't have to look for anything. You already know where it is.

Cameron Wood
03-06-2024, 12:45 PM
Not a fan.

Steps needed:
- Pull out tray, find a place to set it down
- undo two latches, open lid, ensuring place for the lid to rest
- select part or small part container
- close and latch lid to prevent accidental spill
- if desired part is not there, repeat with more trays that look alike
- undo two latches, open lid
- replace container or fasteners, close & latch lid
- replace tray or trays
- additionally, organize storage for overstock & things that don't fit in shallow trays

For containers in a drawer:
- open drawer
- select part/fastener
- close drawer
- after use, open drawer
- replace parts/container
- close drawer

I do have some plastic tackle trays like glenn bradley's in the work van with wall anchors, SS screws, etc., and a set of metal lift-out drawer trays with the common fasteners, but never remove the trays. These are resupplied from cartons in the shop.

For oddball little things like key stock, motor brushes, springs etc. there are some of those metal cubes with the small plastic drawer trays. They are annoying but good enough I guess.

Tom M King
03-06-2024, 12:46 PM
I like those US General tool cabinets, but I didn't like that you have to raise the lid to open a drawer, so I disabled that function. If they don't move, I'm not worried about the drawers opening themselves.

Cameron Wood
03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
I like those US General tool cabinets, but I didn't like that you have to raise the lid to open a drawer, so I disabled that function. If they don't move, I'm not worried about the drawers opening themselves.

You close the lid? That's never happened to me.:p

Jimmy Harris
03-06-2024, 1:16 PM
Yeah, I have a Craftsman one under my work bench, and I can't open the lid with it down there. There's not enough room. I didn't know that's how the lock worked when I bought it. Fortunately, you just tap out the pin, slide out the lock in the back, and problem solved. I'm glad they didn't make it too complicated to defeat.

Those cheap locks always seemed kind of dumb to me. I mean, if someone wanted in there, there's nothing stopping them that a flathead screwdriver couldn't overcome. Or just take the whole box. You're about 10x more likely to lose the key than deter a burglar with those things. Which, incidentally, is how I know a flat head screwdriver works as a key.

Doug Walls
03-06-2024, 2:03 PM
My boxes are all bolted together & I don't move them either. I thought about disabling the lock function also, but as Cameron Wood mentioned.

You close the lid? That's never happened to me.:p
I hardly ever close my lids either.

Doug

Warren Lake
03-06-2024, 2:29 PM
ive kept it simple, wall cabinets all the same. One size of container from the dollar store for all the stuff. Where they are not used for tooling say and other stuff they adapt as they have adjustable shelves on pins. Dont want stuff on the floor where a machine can go. Its also nice to just look straight ahead eye level or close and see the thing you need.

Doug Walls
03-08-2024, 9:04 PM
I just do whatever you think it easiest and/or cheapest.
Where's the fun in that! :D

Checking around on E-bay I ran across a seller that has cases of 10-sets of 16" full extension drawer slides at a good deal.

I ordered 3-cases, so it looks like I'm going with the drawer slide version.

Doug

Rich Aldrich
03-09-2024, 12:27 PM
I built a system based off that Wesley Treat video and have absolutely loved it. I modified mine a bit due to space constraints, but it's been amazing at keeping things organized. I wouldn't put the organizers in individual drawers- that will cost a fortune in drawer slides and extra drawer material, and it's simpler to grab a box then put it at a convenient level. I didn't do a full drawer in mine, just a thin sheet of plywood that sticks out big enough to set one of the units on. Bending over to get to the bottom ones, opening the clasps, then fishing around would be a pain- it's much easier to yoink the container out of the slot and plop it on a pull-out shelf.

Plus, the fact that it sticks out is something of a plus- it makes me want to actually put things away, since otherwise I'd be bumping into the drawer all the time.

BTW, Wesley's been talking about adding plans for that to his website at some point but it's not available yet. Of course the HF ones are a little different from the Stanley ones so you'd have to adjust the size anyway.

I made a modified version of this soon to be on casters. It works well, but I have to add the drawers yet. I have quite a few empty boxes for more stuff as time goes on. It can take the Performax boxes from Menards and Harbor Freight boxes. The two brands have different arrangements of small containers, so it gives you more variety.

Carl Beckett
03-09-2024, 5:12 PM
I added under a workbench. Put doors on it.

Brian Tymchak
03-10-2024, 12:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUzeYJ3hl4&t=1s

Something like this but less of an arc. you dont need it to tilt as far

Thanks for that link George! I've been thinking of how to do something like that for a while. One of those Homer "doh!!" moments when I saw the arc in the side..