PDA

View Full Version : I got a present today!

John Hart
02-06-2006, 6:49 PM
Where else but a turning forum can you gloat about getting a piece of wormy, half-rotted, fungus-ridden chunk of wood in the mail and actually feel all warm inside!
This is a piece of Spalted Hickory from "Mr Grouchy" Andy Hoyt. It has the start of a crack down the center so I'm not wasting any time. It's already trimmed up, prepped and a tenon attached. I'm turning this tonight. Just gotta wait for the epoxy to cure. I think it's going to make a beautiful piece!

Bill Stevener
02-06-2006, 6:54 PM
Wish you well, keep the reflexes in tune.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 7:02 PM
Glad it arrived. I've really been having trouble with this stuff, and am blaming it on the wierd warm rainy weather. Easily half of the really big stuff which has been sitting outside under cover with anchor seal in a frozen solid state since I dragged it back from Connecticut in december has developed splits like crazy.

But your piece had no cracks when it left here. You may find it a bit punky out near the bark, but dig in deeper and there should be some nice stuff waiting for you.

Enjoy.

Ernie Nyvall
02-06-2006, 7:25 PM
Cool.:cool:

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-06-2006, 7:55 PM
Can't wait for mine to get here. Big Brown says tomorrow. It will give me a reason to come back to Midwestern Chill!

Bruce

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2006, 8:04 PM
This is a piece of Spalted Hickory from "Mr Grouchy" Andy Hoyt.

Mr Grouchy???:confused:

I never knew that Andy could be Grouchy!!!!:rolleyes: :p :D

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 8:08 PM
Mr Grouchy???:confused:

I never knew that Andy could be Grouchy!!!!:rolleyes: :p :D

Dennis - I could tell you some stories that would enlighten you. But that would just get me grouchy all over again. Currently still up in the stratosphere from a week ago.

Chris Barton
02-06-2006, 9:05 PM
Where else but a turning forum can you gloat about getting a piece of wormy, half-rotted, fungus-ridden chunk of wood in the mail and actually feel all warm inside!
This is a piece of Spalted Hickory from "Mr Grouchy" Andy Hoyt. It has the start of a crack down the center so I'm not wasting any time. It's already trimmed up, prepped and a tenon attached. I'm turning this tonight. Just gotta wait for the epoxy to cure. I think it's going to make a beautiful piece!

John,
We got a name for that kind of wood product here in TN. Its called mulch. Just kidding:eek: . Great gloat and confirmation that despite what everybody says about Andy, he is a nice guy:p .

Mike Ramsey
02-06-2006, 9:36 PM
Nice feller that Andy...More wood for the wood man :) .

Bob Noles
02-06-2006, 9:59 PM
John,

I'd say if anyone can make that into something, you're the man :cool:

Can't wait to see the pictures later on.

John Hart
02-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Here's the progress so far. Got the crack out of the picture and got her roughed in. It's taking a bath right now but it's really not that wet....so I figure I'll be able to finish it up in about a week. Managed to keep most of its size at a little under 12" in diameter. Thanks for the fun evening Andy!!:)

Jim Ketron
02-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Looking Good John cant wait to see it done!

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Wow, I can't imagine that I would even know where the heck to start!! I am sure you will pull something cool out of it, but I am ducking anyway, just in case she flys!

Corey

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Yup, that's the same stuff that's been inside all the pieces I've done so far.

How bad was the punky factor?

John Hart
02-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Yup, that's the same stuff that's been inside all the pieces I've done so far.

How bad was the punky factor?

There was one small section that was a bit soft and I took it out instead of messing with it. The rest of it is real sturdy, even up near the edges where the heavy spalting is hanging out. It's got some worm holes that give it some nice character too. Got a couple of worm splatters that gave my new face shield some character.:eek: Ahhh...the joy of killing the wildlife.:)

It's a nice piece Andy...Thanks!:)

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Good lord, that is just plain gross John. I think i will puke now! I never imagined I would have to turn bugs and worms and end up with matter splattered all over me! BLeakkkk!!
Corey

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey Corey, where do you think all that "Turning Muscle" comes from?

That's protein!

Would you care for mustard or pickles with your splattered slugs, sir?

Ernie Nyvall
02-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Good lord, that is just plain gross John. I think i will puke now! I never imagined I would have to run bugs and worms and end up with matter splattered all over me! BLeakkkk!!
Corey
Yes Corey, turning can be both fun and tasty. On this kind of would though it is best to keep your shield up and mouth open. emmm good.:D

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey Corey. The best way is to NUKE them in the microwave. You can hear them crackle. That way, when you run into them, they be crunchy. MMMM MMM GOOD! Taste JUST LIKE CHICKEN!

Bruce

John Hart
02-07-2006, 6:49 AM
Hey Corey..That's nothing. You shoulda seen this worm farm!

31346 31347

Or even the one Bruce did around the same time....There was hardly any wood in it at all!:)

John Miliunas
02-07-2006, 8:26 AM
That's turnin' out real cool, John!!! We're givin' you a week for the final pics!!! :D :cool:

Keith Burns
02-07-2006, 9:02 AM
John, no matter what you do, don't waste any time in getting this done:D

John Hart
02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
While my hickory was drying, I noticed that the crack had advanced and there was some danger of some cracks in the spalting, so I decided to turn it some more tonight and take it to final size...maybe it'll be ok. I also tried Bill Steveners concoction of System Three Epoxy and DNA to try and get it stabilized. Looks like it'll be ok
Also...After I put the epoxy on, I guess it irritated this little critter that was living inside. Don't know how he survived the DNA soak, but the epoxy sure bothered him. He was moving real slow and sticky.:D Is there an entymologist in the house? Don't know what this bug is.

Jim Dunn
02-09-2006, 10:29 PM
John that's a wood rat:eek::eek::eek:. Known to chew through metal and tool handles as well. Like to take up residence in the CPU too. My suggestion it to burn the house and shop and get ahold of your local SPCA before you kill all of em. The PETA people will be mad but you warned them.:D:D

Barry Stratton
02-09-2006, 11:41 PM
Very impressive hunk of wood and turning, John.

I have to ask, are those worm splatters on the wall?

Carole Valentine
02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Good lord, that is just plain gross John. I think i will puke now! I never imagined I would have to turn bugs and worms and end up with matter splattered all over me! BLeakkkk!!
Corey
Corey,
Stay away from fresh Mesquite! The suckers that live in there are HUGE!

And John,
What's the red stuff on the paper? Hope it came from the bugs and not you!

Andy Hoyt
02-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Looking good on the Au Naturale Edge, John.

Gonna give that Sytem Three DNA soup a try myself.