PDA

View Full Version : Small Vase

Chris DiCiaccio
02-06-2006, 5:34 PM
As most of you know, I'm in this practice mode. (you're probably getting tired of these) This is another small vase of glued up poplar. Have a great day.

Jim Becker
02-06-2006, 5:44 PM
Chris, the more you turn, the more you learn. Sharing is a good adjunct to that. This is a nice piece!

One of the things I often say is to make a whole bunch of things like this, paint them flat black (don't bother hollowing) and put them on a shelf so you can look at them. Pick out the ones that really look the best to you and make some more like them with minor refinements. Repeat until you have a few forms that "really work" and make them bigger...perhaps doing the hollowing, too. Get experienced folks to comment so you can learn what others see that might have passed you by. When you are comfortable with the form and the technique, pull out a nice piece of wood and have at it. This makes for a lot of experience at the lathe and better end-results, too. And since you can use inexpensive and/or free scrape for most, if not all of the material...it's also cost effective learning.

Bob Noles
02-06-2006, 6:31 PM
Chris,

Yeah... What Jim said and I would like to add that I never get tired of seeing projects made by others. It is a good learning process for all and an inspiration as well.

Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work and pictures.

John Hart
02-06-2006, 6:43 PM
I think it's a very pretty piece Chris! All your practice pieces seem to be better than my Show pieces. I like the form and the balance on this one. Nice going!:)

Ernie Nyvall
02-06-2006, 7:22 PM
Not at all tired of them Chris and you did a good job on this one.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-06-2006, 7:56 PM
Keep it up Chris. Lookin' good. Like the cap/finial.

Bruce

Keith Burns
02-06-2006, 9:15 PM
Very nice Chris. They always say that practice makes perfect (unfortunately not in my case) and you are well on your way. Keep them coming:) :)

Jim Ketron
02-06-2006, 9:57 PM
Nice Job Chris!
Keep-em coming!

Corey Hallagan
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Man, your on a roll Chris! Keep knocking them out!

Corey

doug webb
02-06-2006, 11:59 PM
I too encourage you to continue posting pics of your work, practice or no. This is one aspect of the creek that my wife and i share. We look at all the pretty pictures of things we would not have the opportunity to see any other way. And the work posted on this site is fabulous. Keep it up........doug

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Very nice Chris. Looks really good. Great work.

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Looking good, Chris. Hang tough.