PDA

View Full Version : New Woodworking Direction

john whittaker
02-06-2006, 5:31 PM
Wanted everyone to know that I've been away from SMC for awhile. I check in from time to time to see what you buzzards & buzzets are up to, but time and circumstance have limited my posting. Really been fun to see what has been going on here recently on this site. Great bunch of folks.:)

Just posted on Dennis's infamous "weekend accomplishments" thread and realized that I have not let you guys in on what I've been up to.
I'm spending the next few months "inside"... out of my cold garage shop building my first acoustic guitar. If successful, it will be a vintage Martin dreadnought design with appropriate binding and inlay work. If not successful it will be hanging on a wall somewhere with a sign saying "FRAGILE - DON"T TOUCH". :mad:

It's a big challenge for me but something I've always wanted to do...and we're not gettin any younger!!! I realize we have quite a few guitar/musicians on this site so I will try to post some progress pics.

Up till now I've spent the last several months educating myself on the process, and building some of the tools & jigs required. I'm about ready to start bending wood and making "the box". Luckily I've had the help of several local builders (luthiers) to point me in the right direction. Wish me luck.

And hey...if it doesn't work out I can always try my hand at that spinny stuff. I'm not scar't of wood spinning at 56,000 RPM. :eek: Noooo...not at all.
If this post belongs in off topic...please move it. It's just too confusing:confused:

Jim Becker
02-06-2006, 5:52 PM
John, definitely "on topic"...and I like the idea of picking a challenging project like you have done and pursuing it. Bravo!

Jarrod Nelson
02-06-2006, 5:57 PM
That's a long term dream of mine too. I'd be very interested to see a progress thread.

Dave Tinley
02-06-2006, 6:07 PM
John-
Not sure if you get DIY, but they have a show called "Handmade Music", its been very informative. Although I have no aspirations to build a musical instrument, the tools and techniques have been fasinating.

Keep us up todate on your progress.

Dave

Tyler Howell
02-06-2006, 6:11 PM
Hey John, I've attempted repairs but never a complete construction Looking forward to lots of pictures. Good luck.
P.S. one of my attempts is hanging on a wall:o