PDA

View Full Version : I said some bad words!

Dave Wimmer
02-06-2006, 4:59 PM
Can I be excused due to circumstances?

Keith Burns
02-06-2006, 5:05 PM
Can't blame you. I think it's time to throw that old lathe out and get a new one and some new tools as well:D

Glenn Clabo
02-06-2006, 5:09 PM
I can understand...Sure is some pretty wood. If bad words are said when nobody is around...are they still bad? I wonder if it can be used to pan for gold?

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 5:11 PM
I'm with Keith on this one.

No! It's your own darn fault for using a lathe that color:D

Jim Dunn
02-06-2006, 5:13 PM
YOU Are FORGIVEN:p

Just say something positive in front of your lathe and all is all right with the world.

It, was going to be a nice looking piece of wood though:o.

Jim

Jim Dunn
02-06-2006, 5:14 PM
Andy you aint talking about a white one are ya. Me thinks you stand to close to the microwave while in batchlor hood:)

Mike Ramsey
02-06-2006, 5:18 PM
So that's what happens when you use one of those yeller lathes?
& I was just thinking of saving my pennies up to buy one!!

Dave, I can see a beautiful shallow bowl or platter there!

Travis Stinson
02-06-2006, 5:27 PM
OUCH! I think I heard you..........:eek:

George Conklin
02-06-2006, 5:30 PM
Been there, done that!

I amazed myself with the bad words that I came up with. Not proud of myself by any stretch. Just amazed. Almost a reflex action. I sort of sounded like the girl with terets (sp) in Deuce Bigelo Male Gigelo(sp)? In fact, I think it was when I was turning Ambrosia Maple. Hmmm,,, maybe it's something in the wood.

George

Jim Becker
02-06-2006, 5:32 PM
So you say said words (or shout them, as the case may be)...stomp your feet a bit and go back to the lathe and do a little "redesign on the fly"...you still have the makings of a very nice platter, even if it will be a little smaller. Stuff happens... ;)

Hank Walczak
02-06-2006, 5:47 PM
Isn't this is what CA or Epoxy is for?????:eek::eek::eek:

Hank

Bob Noles
02-06-2006, 6:36 PM

Before we can grant a full pardon, we need more details.... :eek: :D :p

John Hart
02-06-2006, 6:40 PM
I'm with Bob....What exactly did you say Dave? I'm sure it wasn't anything that can't be said on SMC is it?

I'd glue it. Oh...and when you throw out the lathe...please let me know so I can come pick it up:)

Bill Stevener
02-06-2006, 6:51 PM
I would not blame it on the lathe, maybe on the tool, like a bad golf club, just bend it around a tree and get a new one.

Looks like you can do a glue up repair, wish you well.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bruce Smith
02-06-2006, 7:12 PM
Oh what a pity, such lovely grain too. Perhaps you shall just have to be satisfied with a saucer or coaster. Hang in there all part of the game.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-06-2006, 7:59 PM
That is a shame. Any chance of gluing it back together?

Bruce

Dale Thompson
02-06-2006, 8:01 PM

Dave,
Why not just trim off the "catch" portion, thin the wall a bit and end up with either a shallow bowl or a nice platter? :) From what I can see, most of the grain beauty is in the bottom of the bowl anyway. :) Take advantage of a GEORGEOUS piece of wood. :D

Do you want to hear the story of all of my 4" yo-yos that turned into 2" yo-yos? :( EGADS!! I HATE Purpleheart! :)

Dale T.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2006, 8:01 PM
You're excused! What a pity!

Chris Barton
02-06-2006, 9:08 PM
Wow, sorry about that. This is the point I usually dive under the lathe and start looking for the fractured bit and get the CA. Good luck!

Randy Meijer
02-07-2006, 2:42 AM
Sorry for your misfortune. Looks like your 14"(?) rimmed platter just went to a 12" rimless version. It is still a wonderful piece of wood!! Let the wood take you where it wants to go.

Dave Wimmer
02-07-2006, 7:15 AM
Tried using CA but the wood is dripping wet. Didn't work, what the picture doesn't show is there is 4 more inches of depth to cut out. Still should turn out pretty good. Is Andy suggesting it would be better to use one of those lathes that look like a hospitol air comressor?

John Miliunas
02-07-2006, 8:13 AM
Well, like they say in the Old Country, Dave: "Feces occurs"! :eek: You've got plenty left there to still end up with a beautiful piece. Oh, and don't listen to Andy's rants about "white"! He's just jealous that they ran out of paint tint at the factory where his is made! :D :cool:

Andy Hoyt
02-07-2006, 8:21 AM
Harrumpfh!