PDA

View Full Version : E-Z Lok install tool broke off in the threade insert.

Brian Runau
02-27-2024, 10:38 AM
Unit is a 400-4. EZLok is sending me a replacement no charge, so this is a good thing. It looks to be machined cast iron Vs solid machined steel. A little disappointing.

Only way I know to remove the broken stub of the thread from the install tool is to drill it out and use the replacement tool to remove the insert. If there is an easier way love to know.

Thanks.

Brian

George Yetka
02-27-2024, 11:26 AM
It broke on the wood side of the stop? you can try and use jb weld and a piece of steel. after it sets you should be able to pull it. It shouldn't be jammed, the stub keeps you straight and the tabs engage the insert. If the insert itself is far enough out you can try backing the whole thing out.

Tom M King
02-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Left handed cobalt drill bit will back it right out.

mike stenson
02-27-2024, 12:13 PM

These beat the so-called easy outs, every time.

Brian Runau
02-27-2024, 1:45 PM
It broke on the wood side of the stop? you can try and use jb weld and a piece of steel. after it sets you should be able to pull it. It shouldn't be jammed, the stub keeps you straight and the tabs engage the insert. If the insert itself is far enough out you can try backing the whole thing out.

George, The threaded end of the install tool broke of inside the threaded insert. I have some left handed bits to remove stripped screws and this would be easier than drilling it. I'll try that first. Thanks.Brian

Brian Runau
02-27-2024, 1:46 PM

Thanks Tom, hadn't thought of this, should be easier than drilling it tout. Brian