PDA

View Full Version : Anchor seal

Steve Nix
02-27-2024, 7:48 AM
I have a Partial 5 gallon can of anchor seal that thicken up , anyone know what I can use to thin it out.

Bill Howatt
02-27-2024, 9:23 AM
I think water works.

John Kananis
02-27-2024, 9:27 AM
I'm fairly confident that the mix is just latex paint with wax so water should work to thin by why bother thinning?

I have a Partial 5 gallon can of anchor seal that thicken up , anyone know what I can use to thin it out.

Edward Weber
02-27-2024, 10:11 AM
I'm fairly confident that the mix is just latex paint with wax so water should work to thin by why bother thinning?

There is no latex paint in Anchor Seal.
https://uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal-end-grain-sealer/#

It can be thinned with water, this is commonly done when being sprayed on.

John Kananis
02-27-2024, 10:22 AM
Edward, thanks for the link. I see the data sheet recommends spraying on, do you think any efficacy is lost by using a brush?

There is no latex paint in Anchor Seal.
https://uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal-end-grain-sealer/#

It can be thinned with water, this is commonly done when being sprayed on.

Edward Weber
02-27-2024, 11:32 AM
I use a brush because I don't have a large pile to seal at once. I work by myself and do a couple of pieces at a time. I don't see any loss of the products efficiency, just takes a bit longer in some cases.
A sprayer is faster for large amount of coverage and it's also easy to apply a few thin coats, rather than one thick one.

Also I'll add this.
I use Anchorseal 2
The normal price is about $45 per gallon, which is the largest size container anyone carries.
I buy it fron UC Coatings direct by the 5 gallon pail. With shipping of $50 (ouch) the price is about $32 per gallon to my front door.
$50 is probably one of the highest shipping prices, NJ-CA
If you can, I strongly suggest buying in bulk.

Bill Howatt
02-27-2024, 11:45 AM
This can be an (another) advantage of being in a turning club - the club or a member may buy and sell it for a better price without the need to get a large quantity.

Richard Coers
02-27-2024, 12:07 PM
Depends if it is the old formula or the cold weather formula.

Edward Weber
02-27-2024, 1:27 PM
Depends if it is the old formula or the cold weather formula.
What depends on the formula?
The only difference is that winter formula has a small amount of alcohol in it.

Tim Elett
02-27-2024, 6:19 PM
Dosen't tight bond 2 work just as good? Or is it a matter of opinion, I have been using it a couple of years.

Steve Nix
02-27-2024, 6:35 PM
Thanks for the input.. water it is. I have probably gone through three 5 gallon containers over the past 5 or 6 years and have never had it thicken up to were it wouldn’t pour until this year.

Edward Weber
02-27-2024, 6:42 PM
Dosen't tight bond 2 work just as good? Or is it a matter of opinion, I have been using it a couple of years.
You use what works for you.
It's my understanding that PVA glues and sealers, as well as latex paint can certainly be used but they lack the flexibility of the wax emulsion.
I also find AS easier to clean up.

Richard Coers
02-27-2024, 11:17 PM
What depends on the formula?
The only difference is that winter formula has a small amount of alcohol in it.
It has methanol in it. So the OP could use water or methanol, that's what it depends on.

Richard Coers
02-27-2024, 11:20 PM
Tight bond? Try Titebond. In a pinch I use old Titebond original and stick a sheet of magazine paper in it. It's given me great results.

Edward Weber
02-28-2024, 1:31 PM
It has methanol in it. So the OP could use water or methanol, that's what it depends on.
Yes but only less than 5% methanol, in the winter formula only. (if that's what he has)

If I had some that thickened, I would simply try adding distilled water to lower the viscosity. That small amount of alcohol only lowers the freezing point a couple of degrees. Once it freezes, it's pretty much ruined. Directions state to keep it stored above 40 degrees F, even the winter formula.

Steve Nix
02-28-2024, 9:25 PM
Water did the job. Added three pints of well water and agitation with my handy homemade egg beater and brought the viscosity back to its original consistency. Will probably use most of it this weekend on a large black walnut, hackberry and sweet gum I’ll be processing. Thanks for the input.

Brice Rogers
03-01-2024, 2:06 AM
I made something slightly similar to anchor seal. I used paraffin and mineral spirits. Heat up the paraffin until it melts and pour in some mineral spirits and stir a bit. When it cools it will stiffen up a bit depending on how much mineral spirits you put in. I like to make it the consistency of butter. Then I apply some saran wrap to help hold things in place. It seems to work fine.

I've also used PVA (yellow glue) and it works well also.

Robert Hayward
03-01-2024, 4:24 PM
I've also used PVA (yellow glue) and it works well also.
PVA, Titebond ll, is my go to for sealing end grain. I do not do much fresh cut wood these days but I quit buying Anchorseal years ago.

Brian Brown
03-01-2024, 10:52 PM
Craft supplies sells a PVA based end sealer, but I think 1 gal is the largest size. It seems to work as well as original Anchor Seal. The difference is in clean-up. If you care about what it may drip on, be sure you cover it with a drop cloth. The PVA stuff is messy and horrible to clean up.