PDA

View Full Version : Mortise and tenon projects

Abdul Azeez
02-26-2024, 6:57 AM
Hello all - I want to get into using true wood joints rather than pocket holes. For starters I want to try out a mortise and tenon project and I think a shop stool would be a good starting project. Can someone suggest where I can download a plan (preferably free) for a mortise and tenon shop stool? If there is some other project that's better kindly suggest that as well.

James Jayko
02-26-2024, 8:17 AM
My two cents...a stool is generally going to have splayed legs and, as such, mortises and tenons that are angled (in two directions). This is going to meaningfully up the difficulty on a first project.

The first mortise and tenon project I did was just a coffee table. I just used traditional joinery rather than screws / dominos. You can work M&T into almost any project you need to build...but something square seems quite a bit easier.

George Yetka
02-26-2024, 8:49 AM
I would try a miniture table out of 1) 2x4 ripped up to 1-1/2" stock. You can get a second board and practice half lap's. After a practice make a full size table like James mentioned

Jim Becker
02-26-2024, 9:27 AM
Simple table is one of the best ways to explore traditional mortise and tenon joinery.

mike stenson
02-26-2024, 9:30 AM
Yep. Table, or workbench...

Jim Becker
02-26-2024, 9:32 AM
I like Mike's idea about a work bench because working on a larger scale might be easier than making "dainty" M&T on a small table.

Steve Boring
02-26-2024, 3:14 PM
I agree that a stool won't be the easiest starting project, but it is certainly doable. Build something you're excited to build. I haven't built this, but found this Popular Woodworking video for a mortise and tenon shop stool. It's from their I Can Do That series, so it seems like a good fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zPp-98lm0

As a suggestion for a simpler starting project, I recently built some wall hangings to display photos. I built a simple rectangular frame and wove shaker tape over the frame. Photos are clipped to the shaker tape. The frame is roughly 18" x 24" and the frame segments are about 3/4" x 2" wide. I used mortise and tenon joints at the corners. I also pinned the joints, mostly because I didn't have suitable clamps. I think that would be a good starter project. The shaker tape covers up most of the joint, so you don't have to be perfect with getting the joint to close. The overall size of the frame is arbitrary, so you could also shrink the frame a bit if a set of tenons don't work out. I'd be happy to send photos if you're interested in that project.

Good luck with the M&T joints!

Rob Luter
02-26-2024, 4:29 PM
I made this little stool: LINK (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?289630-Homestead-Mission-Finish-Process). It was a good exercise in M&T Joinery. I'm afraid there's no formal plan.

Jim Morgan
02-26-2024, 6:17 PM
I made this little stool: LINK (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?289630-Homestead-Mission-Finish-Process). It was a good exercise in M&T Joinery. I'm afraid there's no formal plan.

Note to OP: you must be a contributer ($6/year) to have picture-viewing privileges.

Abdul Azeez
02-26-2024, 6:47 PM
I saw this but it was a complicated build.

Abdul Azeez
02-26-2024, 6:48 PM
My two cents...a stool is generally going to have splayed legs and, as such, mortises and tenons that are angled (in two directions). This is going to meaningfully up the difficulty on a first project.

The first mortise and tenon project I did was just a coffee table. I just used traditional joinery rather than screws / dominos. You can work M&T into almost any project you need to build...but something square seems quite a bit easier.

Hello all - I want to get into using true wood joints rather than pocket holes. For starters I want to try out a mortise and tenon project and I think a shop stool would be a good starting project. Can someone suggest where I can download a plan (preferably free) for a mortise and tenon shop stool? If there is some other project that's better kindly suggest that as well.

Where can I find a plan?

Abdul Azeez
02-26-2024, 6:49 PM

Simple table is one of the best ways to explore traditional mortise and tenon joinery.

Where can I find a plan?

Abdul Azeez
02-26-2024, 6:50 PM

I agree that a stool won't be the easiest starting project, but it is certainly doable. Build something you're excited to build. I haven't built this, but found this Popular Woodworking video for a mortise and tenon shop stool. It's from their I Can Do That series, so it seems like a good fit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zPp-98lm0

As a suggestion for a simpler starting project, I recently built some wall hangings to display photos. I built a simple rectangular frame and wove shaker tape over the frame. Photos are clipped to the shaker tape. The frame is roughly 18" x 24" and the frame segments are about 3/4" x 2" wide. I used mortise and tenon joints at the corners. I also pinned the joints, mostly because I didn't have suitable clamps. I think that would be a good starter project. The shaker tape covers up most of the joint, so you don't have to be perfect with getting the joint to close. The overall size of the frame is arbitrary, so you could also shrink the frame a bit if a set of tenons don't work out. I'd be happy to send photos if you're interested in that project.

Good luck with the M&T joints!

I saw the video but it was a complicated build

Frederick Skelly
02-26-2024, 6:57 PM
I built this one from Fine Woodworking years ago.LINK (https://www.finewoodworking.com/project-guides/beginner-projects/how-to-build-a-small-step-stool-start-woodworking-s3)

I built it from the plans in that issue of the magazine, but it looks like you can still download a .pdf and it seems to be free.

Good luck!

Abdul Azeez
02-27-2024, 7:03 AM
[

I built this one from Fine Woodworking years ago.LINK (https://www.finewoodworking.com/project-guides/beginner-projects/how-to-build-a-small-step-stool-start-woodworking-s3)

I built it from the plans in that issue of the magazine, but it looks like you can still download a .pdf and it seems to be free.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for sharing. This one looks great and I could start this. The tools I don't have based on this video are marking gauge, flush cutting saw, dado stack, shoulder plane and the other plane he showed. I assume for dado stack I can use just my regular blade on table saw. For the others, any recommendations on cost effective options to buy? Also instead of a stool can I adapt this to say a bench? Or should I start small?

Frederick Skelly
02-27-2024, 10:16 AM
[

Thanks so much for sharing. This one looks great and I could start this. The tools I don't have based on this video are marking gauge, flush cutting saw, dado stack, shoulder plane and the other plane he showed. I assume for dado stack I can use just my regular blade on table saw. For the others, any recommendations on cost effective options to buy? Also instead of a stool can I adapt this to say a bench? Or should I start small?

My opinions based on building this. Your skill level and available tools might change the answers I’m suggesting. Also, other readers may feel differently than I do…..

You can cut the dado as you suggested.
You can use a square and a sharp pencil (or knife) in place of a marking gauge.
I’d buy a flush cutting saw - they are not expensive.
A shoulder plane is useful. For some jobs, you can use a sharp chisel instead. Depends on the task. I do like having one in my kit.

I would start small, with inexpensive lumber - handle this as a learning experience (prototype). If you like it, build it again with more expensive material. Or, if you use expensive materials, practice any “hard parts” on inexpensive material first. (You will learn a lot the first time you do a new task.)

James Jayko
02-28-2024, 8:47 AM
I’d start with Google?

Rob Luter
02-28-2024, 1:57 PM

I saw this but it was a complicated build.

It was actually very simple. Other than a table saw to rough cut the parts to size and a drill press to drill out most of the mortise waste it was all done with hand tools. All the tenons are pinned or wedged

Justin Rapp
02-29-2024, 10:15 AM
Before you even start with an actual project, get some inexpensive pine or construction lumber and practice practice practice. This will give you a chance to learn the best method of making M&T joints with the tools you have in your arsenal.

One tool that will really help if you don't have it is a corner chisel, especially if you plan to make visible joints like the little stool Rob Luter posted.

Once you get through some square angle M&T you can attempt some splayed like a shop stool but those are a lot more complicated and you should built some angle jigs to set up your equipment for the angles.

Rob Luter
02-29-2024, 2:50 PM
Before you even start with an actual project, get some inexpensive pine or construction lumber and practice practice practice. This will give you a chance to learn the best method of making M&T joints with the tools you have in your arsenal.

One tool that will really help if you don't have it is a corner chisel, especially if you plan to make visible joints like the little stool Rob Luter posted.

Once you get through some square angle M&T you can attempt some splayed like a shop stool but those are a lot more complicated and you should built some angle jigs to set up your equipment for the angles.

^^ Great advice ^^

Justin Rapp
02-29-2024, 4:40 PM
^^ Great advice ^^

Well it's good advice, but some of the advice is recently learned at the woodworking show, so I can't take credit for the setup jigs. I actually went back to the show a 2nd day to sit in on Tommy MacDonald's Session on these kitchen stools he makes and there is 12 splayed / angled M&T joints. Same concept for any stool with angle legs. He has has plans and the angle jig for sale through Blue Spruce Tool Works. I didn't buy the plans/template jig since I can just figure it out on my own, but they are really cool stools. My biggest issue is I have no need for such a stool in my house so I have no clue what i'd do with it if I decide to give it a shot.

https://bluesprucetoolworks.com/collections/woodworking-plans/products/wicked-smaht-studio-stool-woodworking-plans-pattern-templates

Abdul Azeez
03-01-2024, 10:30 AM

Is common board from home Depot good to try this out or are you referring to the standard 2x?

mike stenson
03-01-2024, 10:33 AM
You can literally use any wood. Just make sure to four-square it first. Or it'll make things more complicated than it needs to be here.

Justin Rapp
03-02-2024, 12:53 PM
Is common board from home Depot good to try this out or are you referring to the standard 2x?

Like I mentioned in our text msgs, cheap lumber for practice is perfect, be it construction lumber (2x4's), furring strips, or the lowest grade pine. Meaning use this to practice and learn as long as the board is flat and square. Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-4-in-x-3-25-ft-Spruce-Pine-Fir-Common-Board-Bed-Slat-Actual-Dimensions-0-75-in-x-3-5-in-x-39-in-KDCBCC1439HFT/206883043

For about $4, you can cut it in half and make a M&T, then cut it off, and make another, and another, until you are comfortable cutting the tenon. And the other half you can just keep making mortises until there's no more wood left. Cheap pratice.

Randy Heinemann
03-02-2024, 2:27 PM
This link goes to Woodsmith plans. The design doesn't seem too difficult; only 3 mortise and tenon joints.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=d200b890734bc6a6JmltdHM9MTcwOTMzNzYwMCZpZ3VpZD0y Njk5OWZiOC1iZTNhLTZjMmYtMTUyMC04YzgwYmEzYTYyZGQmaW 5zaWQ9NTI1NQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=26999fb8-be3a-6c2f-1520-8c80ba3a62dd&psq=shop+stool+plans&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cud29vZHNtaXRocGxhbnMuY29tL3BsYW 4vc2ltcGxlLXNob3Atc3Rvb2wv&ntb=1

Here's another possible project, depending on whether you like Arts & Crafts style furniture.

Tile-Top Craftsman Table | Woodworking Project | Woodsmith Plans (https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/tile-top-craftsman-table/)

Just a suggestion - Take some scrap wood. Square it up and make some mortise and tenon joints until you feel comfortable; then try a project. That way, no wood wasted and you would likely have better success on your first project. Mortise and tenon joints aren't complicated, but do require accurate layout and, flat square wood to have satisfactory success. (The square, flat wood thing applies, of course, if that's the kind of project you're making, but that would be the simplest way to practice.)

Tom Bender
03-06-2024, 3:42 PM
You are going to make some mistakes. Embrace them. Agree with the advice to make a few practice joints but cheap wood may not be the most fun to work with. You may have some better offcuts to play with. A nice steel ruler and a few sharp chisels should be adequate to start with, and a square of some kind. Hold off on the shoulder plane and corner chisel.

mike stenson
03-06-2024, 5:28 PM
I still don't possess a corner chisel. With good marking practices, I've found no need for one.

Thomas McCurnin
03-06-2024, 5:38 PM
I agree. A small bedside or coffee table is a good way to start. This table was a beginner project where I went to woodworking school in Waco, Texas: https://paulsellers.com/2016/08/making-side-table-series/ It was done entirely with hand tools, and took about three days to make, but with power tools, I would expect you could cut that in half.