PDA

View Full Version : Winter at Mount St. Helens

Scott Donley
02-06-2006, 4:03 PM
For those that have never been there, it truly is an amazing sight. Lost two friends from work when it blew, they were camping in the " safe " zone at the time. I have been down there to see it a number of times over the years and am always amazed. This is the live cam view so only works when the weather is clear and bright. You see that big hole in the top and have to ask yourself, where did all that earth go ?
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Joe Pelonio
02-06-2006, 5:01 PM
Scott,

People like to make fun of our rain, but we do make up for it when we do get a nice day. On the way into work in the morning on 520 west I see the Olympics, on the way home I see Mt. Rainier and Mt. Baker, plus the central Cascades. When I get home we have a view of the Snoqualmie Valley with the Cascades behind it. Sure is nice to have a clear day for a change, lots of bright white on the mountains. Can you see St. Helens from down in U.P.?

Jerry Olexa
02-06-2006, 6:41 PM
Great pic. Makes u stop and think...Thanks

Bill Simmeth
02-07-2006, 9:42 AM
I lived in Issaquah, Washington at the time it blew. We were camping near Snoqualmie Pass that day and distinctly remember hearing the "boom" which literally shook the trees around us -- roughly 150 miles away. At the time, we thought maybe it was a military exercise somewhere nearby. When we got home that night and saw the news, we realized what it was.

We went camping two weeks later along the Columbia River Gorge which was in the fallout zone. It was like camping on the moon! There was a layer of ash about one-two inches thick everywhere that puffed up whenever you walked on it.

Both were simply awe inspiring displays of the power of Mother Nature!

Scott Donley
02-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Joe, no, can't see Mt. st. Helens from my house. Could see the ash plume back when it was still blowing. I do have a view of Mt. Rainer, if it ever goes,,,,,,, I don't even want to think about it, a lot of small towns in its path.
Again, if you ever get a chance to go down to St. Helens, do it, pictures just don't impress on you the the destruction that took place.