PDA

View Full Version : First real bowl/vase Pics w/questions

Mike Burkeen
02-06-2006, 12:40 PM
After laying ceramic tile for over a week the LOML gave me a "shop pass" to turn a segemented bowl that I glued together over 2 weeks ago. It is 4 1/4 inch tall and 5 1/2 wide. Made of Acijou(sp) and soem dark wood that came off of a pallet. No idea what it is but it sure was hard. I came out better than I expected.

Now to the questions. I had a heck of a time getting the inside to turn. I am pretty sure it has a lot to do with lack of tools and talnet. I dont have a bowl gouge yet so I used a spindel gouge, parting tool, raound nose scraper and LOTS of sandpaper. So I guess my question is what tools and what procedures are needed to turn the inside of a bowl? Not a hollow for just a bowl.

Dick Parr
02-06-2006, 1:20 PM
Very nice Mike, love the two woods.

A bowl gouge is the best thing for turning the inside, preferably one with an Elsworth grind on the end. This will make turning a whole lot easier then with the tools you mentioned. If this is the size you plan on staying with then a 3/8" bowl gouge would be fine and you can grind your own wings on it. Do a search on the web and there are a number of sites that show you how and what angle to grind it too.

You did do a great job with what you had though.

Hope to see more work.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2006, 2:10 PM
That is a nice piece Mike. You did well with the tools you have. Like Dick said get yourself a bowl gouge. I bought 2, a 3/8" and 1/2". I put a Ellsworth or Celtic grind which are about the same on mine. You can get a Ellsworth grinding jig at packard woodworks or a wolverine jig will do it. The gouge works well.

John Hart
02-06-2006, 4:02 PM
Yup...I'd hafta say that's pretty nice Mike! Personally, I like my scrapers, but I'm about to take the plunge into the bowl gouge.:)

Keith Burns
02-06-2006, 4:44 PM
Great job with the tools you have. Need a bowl gouge for sure. It's interesting though, a lot of people use scrapers with great success. I very seldom use them (they are my enemy). Be sure you bring it for the instant gallery.

Ernie Nyvall
02-06-2006, 6:59 PM
Looks nice Mike.

I turned several bowls with a spindle gouge and scraper (nothing like the big bertha John has) and finally bought an Ellsworth signature bowl gouge. I couldn't believe the difference in how it took out material.

Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-06-2006, 8:01 PM
I am always in awe of you segmented folks.

Great Lookin'.

Bruce