PDA

View Full Version : Update on Craftsman 152.21907 mortiser

Jim Davenport
02-06-2006, 12:36 PM
On a previous post I shared that I bought a Craftsman mortiser on sale.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29417
well yesterday I had the oportunity to put it through it's paces. I'm making a new base for my workbench. it currently has a 2X4 frame with a particle board cabinet. Age and being moved accross country while I was in the Navy has taken its toll. I plagiarized the Design from one of the "Taunton Books". Basiclly, 2 1/2" square bases and tops with 2 1/2" square legs, mortise and tenoned together. The mortises are 1" X 1 3/4", by 1 1/2" deep. Plus 1/2" X 1" X 1/12" deep on the legs for the stretchers. I used some Clear fir, and yellow pine 2X4's that I had in the "Magic Garage"
Before I started I sharpened the chisel with a kit I bought at Woodcraft, it consists of a cutter with pilots for different chisels, and a diamond plate for the sharpening the outside. I sharpened the Auger bit with a jewlers file.
I've included photo's of the sharpening kit, cutting the mortises, cutting the tenons, and dry fit of the assembly.
I still have to make the stretchers. Eventully I'll make a cabinet to fit underneath.
Overall I'm pleased with the mortiser. I especially like the long handle that gives leverage, and the fine adjustment of the fence.

Todd Davidson
02-06-2006, 8:16 PM
Hi Jim~

Glad you're thus far satisfied with the mortiser. I'm about ready to toss my DP attachment and purchase one. Will be keeping my eye out for the Craftsman in the C'man Club flyer. Seems like a solid unit for the money.

In peace, Todd

Howard Norman
02-06-2006, 10:33 PM
Todd, thanks a lot for posting the update. I was actually looking at the Sears website tonight for info on that mortiser. I have a couple of certificates from a Sears credit card that I could use for part of the price of this tool.

What is the amp rating on the motor?

Howard

Jim Davenport
02-07-2006, 6:00 AM
The motor amp rating is 6 amps.
My Craftsman looks similar to the Delta 14-651. I think the same company makes it.
Also besides being cheaper, The Craftsman includes a 2 1/4" riser block. I believe the riser block is an option on the Delta.
Also the Craftsman has a longer handle with a 90 degree bend. This makes it easier to use of you're chopping a lot of mortises.

Marcus Ward
02-07-2006, 9:21 AM
The delta comes with the riser block standard. However, having the delta I wish I'd bought the shop fox. The price is almost identical and the shop fox has an extra 1/4 hp and the ability to take the bigger chisels so you can cut larger mortises in one pass. I'm planning on cutting a bunch of 1" mortises this week and wish I had the shop fox model so I could just use a 1" chisel. Will the craftsman take the 3/4" shank chisels?

Howard Norman
02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
The motor amp rating is 6 amps.
My Craftsman looks similar to the Delta 14-651. I think the same company makes it.
Also besides being cheaper, The Craftsman includes a 2 1/4" riser block. I believe the riser block is an option on the Delta.
Also the Craftsman has a longer handle with a 90 degree bend. This makes it easier to use of you're chopping a lot of mortises.
Thanks for the update. Knowing the history of present Craftsman power tools I would not be surprised if it is made in the same factory that makes the Delta.

Howard

Jim Davenport
02-07-2006, 10:31 AM
The delta comes with the riser block standard. However, having the delta I wish I'd bought the shop fox. The price is almost identical and the shop fox has an extra 1/4 hp and the ability to take the bigger chisels so you can cut larger mortises in one pass. I'm planning on cutting a bunch of 1" mortises this week and wish I had the shop fox model so I could just use a 1" chisel. Will the craftsman take the 3/4" shank chisels?
The mortiser has a bushing in the chisel holder. the OD of the bushing is .978" I have some old chisels from a "Drill press Mortiser" that I bought from a yard sale. The largest chisel is 5/8" and the chisel shank is .746" The auger bit shank is .620" but the chuck on the mortiser has a 3/8" capacity.
I did 1" X 1 3/4" mortises, and had to make two passes.