PDA

View Full Version : Need shelf support suggestions.

Royce Meritt
02-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I am making a wall shelf for my neighbor that is in the shape of "home plate". It will be used to display autographed baseballs. Construction is 3/4" oak sides with 1/4" plywood back. Shelves will be 1/4" thick oak stock with 1.5" holes drilled through the shelf for the balls to rest in. (He supplied the material.) Here's my problem. I cut the parts and assembled the sides and back. No problems. After I had assembled the sides and back I realized I had not cut the 1/4" dados in the sides to hold the 1/4" shelves. Too late to disassemble and cut the dados. (see my crude sketch I attached)

Any suggestions as to how I can now attach the shelves? I thought about drilling 1/8" holes in the sides for 1/8" dowels to support the shelves or using those brass shelf support pins or even attaching some small wooden strips on the sides to support the shelves. Any other thoughts that I may be missing? Thanks.

Jamie Buxton
02-06-2006, 11:41 AM
How 'bout nails? Small finish nails in from the outside, with colored putty to fill the holes. Because the shelf plywood is so thin, I'd probably drill pilot holes for the nails.

Royce Meritt
02-06-2006, 11:43 AM
How 'bout nails? Small finish nails in from the outside, with colored putty to fill the holes. Because the shelf plywood is so thin, I'd probably drill pilot holes for the nails.

Thought about that as well. Might work. Not much weight to support on each shelf.

FWIW- the shelves are actually 1'4" SOLID stock, not plywood.

Thanks.

Lee DeRaud
02-06-2006, 11:48 AM
How 'bout nails? Small finish nails in from the outside, with colored putty to fill the holes. Because the shelf plywood is so thin, I'd probably drill pilot holes for the nails.Or use it as an excuse to buy a pin nailer.:cool: