PDA

View Full Version : New respirator

Gordon Achterhof
02-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Finally talked the CFO into a safety purchase. Got a Triton Powered Respirator from Woodcraft on Saturday. Charged the battery all night and tried it for 2 hours on Sunday. I should have had one of these before now. Very conmfortable to wear and I did not think that it was too heavy. Not since I used to wear a brain bucket when I was flying. I can see that someone who is not used to the weight could get a tired neck right easy and would need to condition himself to the weight. Air flow is very good and no fog was ever evident on the face shield. I would give it a thumbs up and now feel like I will keep my boyish good looks for a while longer.

Cheers
Gordon

Tom Conger
02-06-2006, 12:13 PM
I just got one of those 3m masks from the trade show. The weight does seem to cause my neck to fatigue after more than an hour or so.

But that is off-set by the dust I see coming off my blanks while sanding that will not be residing within my lungs...

Mike Ramsey
02-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Guess I'm not the only one thinking about respirators!! Didn't do much
turning last week because of Bronchitis...Been seriously thinking of getting
one of the airshield thingys but was concerned about the weight on my head and neck.
Tom what model 3m mask did you get??

Andy Howard
02-06-2006, 1:46 PM
Mike,

Check out the respirator here. http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/html/Subcategories/7500series.htm

Note that you buy the facepiece (mask) once and then have a bevy of filters to selct from based on your task. Anything from organic vapor, acid, or particulate filters.

I use one with the 7093 P100 filters and like it a lot. It is an easy mask to breathe thru and exhale from. The filters are also reasonably priced at about $6.00 per pair.

I feel that this is more of a "real" respirator and filter than some of the other ones that are marketed directly at woodworkers. The 3m is really marketed at industry, but woodworkers can benefit from it as well.

Andy

Mike Ramsey
02-06-2006, 2:03 PM
Thanks Andy.