PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable 4212 dove tail jig set up

Brian Runau
02-10-2024, 11:28 AM
Every time I use this I forget something. I am cutting 5/8" stock for drawers for through dovetails. Do you set the depth gage with the jig portion sitting on top of the base without stock in it or after you add the stock under the top clamp. I did it after adding the stock and the 3/8" depth for the bit does not come down far enough, when sitting the router on top of the jig in relation to the 5/8" thickness. I am under the impression the bit depth should come down to the bottom on the sacrificial piece I put under the top clamp.

Thanks.

Brian

Brian Runau
02-10-2024, 12:43 PM
Figured it out. Set the depth gage before inserting the stock. Then adjust the depth of the bit to make sure it is down to the bottom of the stock inserted in the top.

Richard Coers
02-10-2024, 12:44 PM
I've had an Omnijig for decades. The manual has remained open to the adjustment page and stored inside the fixture since day 1. I made up this little saying "heighten to tighten, lower to loosen". I know, not close to answering your specific question but suggesting some mental things that help.

Tom M King
02-10-2024, 1:29 PM
I just keep dedicated routers set up for the different jigs and sample cut pieces in the tool boxes with the dovetail jigs. It might be more than a few years between uses for me.