PDA

View Full Version : Old Reliant Belt/Disc Sander - Idler Roller and Shaft Needed

Karl Helser
02-08-2024, 8:46 PM
Hello,
I have an old Reliant DD69 Belt/Disc Sander I'm trying to put back together. The machine is in great condition considering it's 31 years old. Unfortunately the Idler roller has a chunk out of the edge, and the end of the shaft has a busted ear. I can put it back together, but I don't think it would be a safe machine to operate. I see that Enco is still producing this machine, but the few companies that sell it will not sell me parts for it...even though the machine looks exactly the same as it did in 1993. I think Enco just wants me to buy a new machine. Unfortunately this machine now costs close to $800. In 1993 I paid $199.
Does any one here know where I can get these parts? I've looked everywhere on the web, but no luck. Enco requires me to have an Enco model number and serial number, to be able to supply me replacement parts. Again, problem is my machine is back when the company was Reliant.

This is my first post. I would post a picture of the machine and parts needed, but I haven't figured out how to post a pic.

Stan Calow
02-08-2024, 8:57 PM
Are either of the parts standard machine parts that somebody like Grainger would sell?

Lee Schierer
02-08-2024, 9:03 PM
Hello,

This is my first post. I would post a picture of the machine and parts needed, but I haven't figured out how to post a pic.

Karl, welcome to the creek. To post photos click on the small picture frame515262 at the top of the compose window for making a post. However, only contributors can actually see the photos, so you will only see some text where the photo should be. An annual membership (contributor) costs as little as $6.

Bill Dufour
02-08-2024, 10:17 PM
Look at Grizzly and see if they have the same machine with parts support.
BillD

Dave Sabo
02-08-2024, 11:09 PM
Hello,
I have an old Reliant DD69 Belt/Disc Sander I'm trying to put back together. The machine is in great condition considering it's 31 years old. Unfortunately the Idler roller has a chunk out of the edge, and the end of the shaft has a busted ear. I can put it back together, but I don't think it would be a safe machine to operate. I see that Enco is still producing this machine, but the few companies that sell it will not sell me parts for it...even though the machine looks exactly the same as it did in 1993. I think Enco just wants me to buy a new machine. Unfortunately this machine now costs close to $800. In 1993 I paid $199.
Does any one here know where I can get these parts? I've looked everywhere on the web, but no luck. Enco requires me to have an Enco model number and serial number, to be able to supply me replacement parts. Again, problem is my machine is back when the company was Reliant.

why don’t you just get the Enco model number and get on with ordering the part(s). Shouldn’t be hard at all to get the model # since you say you found the machine already. :confused:

Karl Helser
02-09-2024, 1:46 PM
Dave, like I said in the original post, they require a model number AND serial number. The serial number probably dates the machine , to make sure they have the part for that era of machine.

Karl Helser
02-09-2024, 1:48 PM
Nope, I looked at alot of "Idler Rollers" and Idler Shafts...nothing close enough

Dave Sabo
02-10-2024, 3:45 PM
Google image search turned up a few of those with serial numbers.

Serial# is bs with that machine in my opinion. They just didn’t sell enough of those machines to warrant significant changes to parts that would be tracked via serial number. Reliant was a small time marketer relatively speaking.

Seems like they just didn’t want to help you.

Jim Becker
02-10-2024, 4:24 PM
Reliant was a small time marketer relatively speaking.

If memory serves, they were the "house brand" machine for Woodworker's Warehouse, a discount woodworking retailer that went out of business quite a few years ago at this point. I remember shopping for doo-dads there early in my woodworking journey; the Wilmington DE store and later the one that was in Flemington NJ. The machines were pretty much the same as a bunch of other machines with various colors and labels, so there's the possibility that "alternative sources" for parts might exist, but it's a longer shot because they are two decade old mass market machines.