PDA

View Full Version : Help with Jointer

Dan Lyman
02-06-2006, 2:13 AM
I could use some help on a new jointer I've been setting up. It has been a rocky road but I think I have almost all the kinks worked out.

After getting things all set up and face jointing some wood (6"wide x 26" long or so) through the jointer I noticed ridges on the jointed face. They go length wise on the board, not cross grain. There are many of them, not just 1 or 2. I assumed there were nicks in the blades. I finally got around to shifting the blades a bit and the ridges were still there, though I cannot say for sure if they were in the same relative locations.

I swapped in a new set of knives and ran the wood through again. Much better this time, but there are still a few ridges, maybe 3 or 4 spots.

Any ideas what's going on?
Are the new blades nicked as well?
Is this normal for new blades and maybe they need to break in?
Is my technique bad?
Is it related to grain orientation?

I'm stumped and frustrated, so any ideas welcome.

Thanks
Dan

Brian Hale
02-06-2006, 4:03 AM
Ridges that run lengthwise (the whole length of the board) are from nicks in the knives. Shifting just one blade at bit should clear it up.

Brian :)

tod evans
02-06-2006, 7:16 AM
you could have a burr or several on your tables? to check for nicks in blades i lightly run my thumbnail over the edge, it`s quite easy to feel even nicks you can`t see.if all else fails make sure the knives are protruding above the arc of the head according to manufacturers specs.....02 tod

Alex Berkovsky
02-06-2006, 8:11 AM
I also noticed some ridges running the length of the board on my fairly new Ridgid jointer. I was also thinking that the knives were nicked, but originally discounted it since they were new. I'll have to try Tod's recommendation of running a thumb nail over the edge of the knife.

Jim Becker
02-06-2006, 10:11 AM
you could have a burr or several on your tables?

This is my thought, too, given shifting the knives didn't solve the problem. Look for roughness on the tables...particular around the throat where the cutter head is. (Unplug the machine first!! And then use your fingers...they are very sensitive to even minor changes)

Dan Lyman
02-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Ok, I'll check the blade edge as well as for burrs on the table later this morning.

Thanks

Dan Lyman
02-06-2006, 1:13 PM
Well, I didn't notice any burrs on the table edges near the cutter, but cleaned them up anyway with a small file. It definitely made a difference. On the original set of knives they were definitely raised ridges, but on this set they appeared to be grooves. The file has minimized things to a point that is acceptable.

A new question is raised however. As the end of the board passes over the cutter, I have pressure on the outfeed table and I get a significant sniping on the last inch or so. Any tips on minimizing the snipe?

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2006, 1:15 PM
Dave...if you have pressure on the outfeed table and are getting snipe on the last inch or so I'd expect that you need to raise your outfeed table slightly. Others with more experience will chime in I'm sure!

Scott Donley
02-06-2006, 1:33 PM
Dave, have to go with what Ken said, keyword here is SLIGHTLY, just a very little bit at a time till you get it right. Good luck !

Mark Hollingsworth
02-06-2006, 2:38 PM
Dave, Bring one of the blades to top dead center of it's arc.Lay a steel straight edge on the outfeed table(a good level will work) and across the blade. Then you can bring the table up to as near perfect even with the top of the blade as possible. Even enough drop to see any gap between the bottom of the straight edge and the table top is too much. You need to just close the gap and it should end your snipe. Mark

Dan Lyman
02-06-2006, 8:06 PM
Thanks very much gentlemen.

Raising the outfeed table slightly eliminated the snipe I was getting at the end of the board.....