PDA

View Full Version : George Nakashima Book

Rob Will
02-06-2006, 1:40 AM
A while back there was a thread about natural edge furniture and the influence of George Nakashima. I would like to purchase a book with some design ideas along these lines. Barnes and Noble shows two titles about Nakashima.

We have access to a lot of natural logs and I would like to develop the natural edge theme for one of my employee's new cabin. Tables, night stands, coffee table, shelving, beds and possibly counter tops.

Any suggested reading (with lots of pics)???

Thanks,
Rob

Chris Giles
02-06-2006, 10:36 AM
Rob,

"The Soul of a Tree" by George Nakashima is my favorite woodworking-related book of all time. First published in 1981, the book is as much an autobiography of Mr. Nakashima as a study on design and technique. This is must-reading for anyone who wishes to better understand the essence of being a true craftsman.

Jim Becker
02-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Soul of a Tree is a "must read", IMHO, for any serious woodworker, regardless of the style you prefer. Mira Nakashima's new book is also supposed to be good, but I have not read it...yet. I also have a book called George Nakashima Full Circle by Derek E Ostergard. (ISBN 1-55584-376-X) I believe it's out of print...I bought mine used and it was still expensive, but it has a lot of really wonderful pictures from the earliest work up through things more familiar.

Rob Will
02-06-2006, 8:06 PM
Thanks gents, BN says "soul" is in the mail.
Rob