PDA

View Full Version : removing tables on old PM 50 jointer

Scott Davis
02-05-2024, 9:15 PM
I got an old jointer and the infeed table was very tight/stuck, and only moved with some effort on the adjustment wheel. Needs to be cleaned up I think, lots of gunk in the ways.

I haven't taken apart a jointer but watched several videos. I can't find one specific to PM 50, although billions of posts.

I got the table loosened up but it appears like pulling it up it will hit the cutterhead, does this have to be removed?

I saw a few other brands where the gib is pulled out and then the table comes off. Mine seems stuck but didn't pull that hard. Sprayed some WS40 in there to sit for a bit. It only has one gib that I can see.

I can pull harder on the gib if that will let table come off more upright and not need to remove the cutterhead.

Anyone know?
thanks!
Scott

Richard Coers
02-05-2024, 11:19 PM
You've taken all the grub screws out and the adjustable gib completely out?

Bill Dufour
02-06-2024, 1:49 AM
Remove the gib completely so it does not fall out and break. On my delta the table has to go down. The block for the adjustment screw nut has to be unbolted and come down with it.
Bill D

Kevin Jenness
02-06-2024, 5:56 AM
You can find a maintenance and parts manual describing removal of the tables at vintagemachinery.org.

John Pendery
02-06-2024, 8:12 AM
I took apart and cleaned up a beat up PM50 a while back. I think each bed has two gib screws that push a narrow metal plate against the dovetail ways. If you back these all the way out you should be able to remove the beds, but while your at it, I would remove the cutter head and clean/replace everything as needed if you plan to use it. It’s a really simple little machine that’s easy to take apart and put back together. I believe Byrd sells a replacement cutter head for the PM50 for a couple hundred bucks.