PDA

View Full Version : Apple & Black Cherry

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2006, 11:39 PM
I bought a couple of blanks from a gentleman in Pennsylvania which were Apple 9" X 9" by 4" thick. I also bought a Black Cherry blank 8" X 8" and 4" thick. Is there anything I should be aware of when turning these green or drying them? If I turn these green can a guy use the DNA method or is there some other method for fruit wood. The reason I got these is I would like to make my DIL some salad bowls for Christmas. She has always wanted a set but just couldn't come up with the money. I figured I would try one of each to see which one I liked the best but would appreciate any help.

Jim Ketron
02-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Cherry works great! I have also had good luck with apple too using the DNA Methods.

John Hart
02-06-2006, 7:17 AM
Cherry is a joy to turn Bernie. I've never turned apple but heard that it is prone to cracks....But Jim just said he has no problems. I also understand that boiling is a good way to stablize it. I have no empirical data to support that claim however.:)

Chris Barton
02-06-2006, 7:22 AM
I don't know about the boiling but, if you do try adding a little cinamon. At least it will smell good. Plus, apple is the favored wood in these parts for smoking meats.

Gary Max
02-06-2006, 8:09 AM
The apple is going to try and move a bunch---best let it sit for about a year.
Them cut it into blanks seal it again and let it set for another year.
I know it sounds like a lot of time but apple is great to work with.

Carole Valentine
02-06-2006, 8:44 AM
I have had goot luck with uncooperative fruitwoods by boiling then DNA. Rough turn it (leave plenty of wood to work with) and boil for an hour or two. Let it cool in the water til room temp let it drain and surface dry for an hour or so then put in DNA. I've been told that boiling does something to stabilze the sugars in the wood which are largely responsible for the cracking, but I don't have any opinion of that theory yet.

Rich Stewart
02-06-2006, 10:58 AM
empirical data? lol

Dale Thompson
02-06-2006, 9:11 PM
empirical data? lol

Rich,
"Empirical" data is the stuff that you can believe - just the opposite of "Statistical" data! :) :D ;)

Dale T.