PDA

View Full Version : Just saying Thanks!

Peter Mich
02-02-2024, 9:50 AM
I’m making several federal style end tables and using Steve Latta’s videos to guide me through the learning process. https://www.finewoodworking.com/videoworkshop/2014/04/federal-side-table

As I build the drawers I am curious about whether or not I should apply finish to the drawer interiors. Happy to report that I turned to Sawmill Creek for advice and found the information I needed.

So, I just want to say thanks to all who share their expertise and insights here.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2024, 1:36 PM
The Creek is certainly a great source of information and advice!

Ron Citerone
02-02-2024, 3:20 PM
I always finish inside of drawers. At least a coat or two. Not to the level of the outside parts. I think colonial folks didn’t do it because finish was imported and very expensive?

Lee Schierer
02-03-2024, 10:29 PM
I finish the drawer boxes inside and out including both sides of the bottom.

Since your drawers are a close fit to the opening and guide rails you may want/need to limit the number of coats on the outside surfaces of the sides.

Jim Becker
02-04-2024, 8:47 AM
Finishing the inside of drawers is just fine and can help them stay cleaner over time. But...don't use an oil based product for that. Use shellac or a waterborne finish so you don't have a permanent odor in the drawer.

Michael Burnside
02-05-2024, 10:59 AM
Wonderful looking pieces, well done. Personally I don't like finished interior drawers. It doesn't feel right and I like the surprise of that beautiful, fresh looking wood with, usually, a walnut ply 1/4 or 1/2 bottom. I sand them to 220 and call it good. I love the look and feel of fresh maple, which is pretty much all I use. If you do, Jim is dead on with the product. Also almost every natural, oil-based product will amber the wood.