PDA

View Full Version : Punxsutawney Phil says,

Rich Engelhardt
02-02-2024, 9:04 AM
an early Spring.

:)

Jim Koepke
02-02-2024, 11:12 AM
I can believe in an early spring. Some of my dormant plants in the unheated greenhouse are starting to pop up.

jtk

Edward Weber
02-02-2024, 11:35 AM
SIx more weeks of Winter = mid March
Early Spring = mid March

That scruffy little rodent has been scamming people for years

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2024, 1:35 PM
Thanks for coming through when we need you, Phil!:eek::rolleyes::D

Mike Soaper
02-02-2024, 8:14 PM
Seems most times when I channel surf and come across the movie Groundhog Day, it's at about the same spot in the movie, go figure.

Ron Citerone
02-02-2024, 8:18 PM
But only Pennsylvanians know who the second most famous groundhog in Pennsylvania is….

Edward Weber
02-02-2024, 9:14 PM
Keep on scratchin'

Doug Garson
02-02-2024, 10:29 PM
Wiarton Willy also predicts an early spring for Ontario. Out here on the wet coast I see our yellow crocuses are starting to bloom.

Dave Fritz
02-03-2024, 9:36 AM
Ground hog bit the mayor some years ago when he tried to pretend the critter was telling him a secret. Haven't believed them since. They're cagy little critters.

Jerome Stanek
02-03-2024, 10:48 AM
They lie so much I end up shooting them

Ron Citerone
02-03-2024, 10:55 AM
They lie so much I end up shooting them

OMG, hilarious!

Jim Becker
02-03-2024, 11:12 AM
But only Pennsylvanians know who the second most famous groundhog in Pennsylvania is….

Keep on scratchin'

ROFLOL!!! Tru dat!

Jim Allen
02-03-2024, 11:13 AM
And there's .....

Mike Soaper
02-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Expecting Phil to have his own daily weather show/podcast/app one day

Jim Becker
02-03-2024, 1:49 PM
The irony to me is how Phil could not possibly see his shadow EVERY year with that big party with big lights in play. I guess he closed his eyes this year. And I'm thankful for it as I don't particularly like "winter".

Ron Citerone
02-03-2024, 2:23 PM
The irony to me is how Phil could not possibly see his shadow EVERY year with that big party with big lights in play. I guess he closed his eyes this year. And I'm thankful for it as I don't particularly like "winter".

Jim, I used to not like winter when I worked. I guess being indoors during the daylight hours and getting home to darkness was the hardest part. Now that I retired, I get out and about during the daylight and warmer part of the day. I also get a lot of shop time in and do a lot of cooking this time of year. Each season has it’s charms. As for Phil, well it is what it is! LOL

Rich Engelhardt
02-03-2024, 5:52 PM
Ed covered that already--
6 more weeks of Winter = mid March
Early Spring = mid March

Pretty much 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

In reality - it just another way for the Germans to swill beer and act goofy. The French get in on that action with Fat Tuesday. Then the Irish with St. Pat's day. Somewhere in there the Polish go crazy with Dyngus Day.
All good fun. All good reasons to swill your favorite Kick-a-poo joy juice and eat yourself silly.

Mel Fulks
02-03-2024, 6:07 PM
Punxsutawney Phil ….the nutty con done with a lazy fat animal , that once a year gets more press than Jane Mansfield used to get !

Lee Schierer
02-03-2024, 10:19 PM
I prefer the forecast provided by woolly bear caterpillars. 515020

Warren Lake
02-03-2024, 11:05 PM
Granny Clampet swore by her weather beetle but also other critters like if the hair on a bob cat was standing up it meant rain was coming.

Many years ago a friend said a group of kids forcasted weather by stating opposite to what some large weather society said and were correct more times. Probably best not to look how many days till spring as it motors along too fast already on its own so best not to be thinking ahead when its only now. However.

Curt Harms
02-04-2024, 11:09 AM

I need to be someplace where 'wintertime' high temps are in the upper 50s except a few days where the temp drops to single digits to knock back the bug population.

mike stenson
02-04-2024, 11:12 AM
I need to be someplace where 'wintertime' high temps are in the upper 50s except a few days where the temp drops to single digits to knock back the bug population.

It really doesn't knock back the bug population.

Jim Becker
02-04-2024, 7:09 PM
i agree with Mike relaitve to the bugs, but for the temps...in a few years, it's likely going to be mostly 40s+ throughout the winter right here where we both live now.

Alan Lightstone
02-05-2024, 8:04 AM
And then again, never bet against a politician making a bad PR move / photo op and having his own groundhog day in NYC. May the groundhog RIP:
https://nypost.com/2024/02/02/metro/groundhog-day-marks-10-years-since-bill-de-blasio-dropped-staten-island-chuck/