PDA

View Full Version : 3 drawer office cabinet with solid panel side and face frame, what reveal on the face

Brian Runau
02-01-2024, 1:47 PM
3 drawer cabinet for the office with solid panel sides and a face frame. One side butts up to a corner computer desk. When applying the face frame to the sides two options for me:

1. Side of face frame flush with the cabinet side or
2. Side of face frame @ 1/8" overhang to the solid panel side

1/8" overhang allows me to hid any imperfections, but not sure which, design wise, is more appropriate.

Thanks for your opinions.

Brian

Brian Runau
02-02-2024, 3:15 PM
Finished cutting the side panels to size and added the foot detail. hard to see, but the first picture shows the face face flush with the side panel and the 2nd shows it with 1/8" overhang like a standard cabinet. I think I like the flush better. I really sweat and over think the details, but....

Kent A Bathurst
02-02-2024, 6:44 PM
........I like the flush better. I really sweat and over think the details, but....

Boffo. Simply boffo, Brian.

I agree with you. I would mayhaps build it 1/16-ish overhang then use flush trim router bit or trusty plane to bring flush.

I, as well, am prone to overdriving my headlights. Hand-to-god, no one other than I will ever know what is what at that level of detail. But I don't mind, and they don't matter.

The only instance where I thought Ricky Nelson pulled his weight:

"I learned my lesson well
You see, you can't please everyone
So you got to please yourself"