PDA

View Full Version : Table thoughts

jack duren
02-01-2024, 9:11 AM
I started this last winter , but set it aside in the spring for other projects. It has a veneer gap, but not all the way around. If I raise the outer ring say an 1/8, you’ll get a little dent in your arm as you play.I think it will fade away once the colors are added, but looking for your thoughts on it…

jack duren
02-02-2024, 7:44 AM
If it’s not bothering forum, guess it shouldn’t bother me…;)

Lee Schierer
02-02-2024, 9:31 AM
Can you make a long thin tapered shaving from the same material as your laminated section and insert it in the gap with glue? It would have to go all the way through. Note that seasonal wood movement could open the gap or close over time.

John Kananis
02-02-2024, 9:43 AM
Hard to answer with just a small portion of the project to look at. What are the two rings? Is that the top? Would a string inlay work there?

John Kananis
02-02-2024, 9:49 AM
I re-read the op. Poker table sort of thing? How are the two "rings" moving independently of each other? Definitely need more pics/info to help.

Richard Coers
02-02-2024, 11:18 AM
Often a post is very clear to the person with the problem, but not so much to the group. Bump in the arm, and when you started it, doesn't help with clarifying the issue. This is the only data you really supply, "It has a veneer gap, but not all the way around" What veneer gap? What will fade together when the colors are added? Why would you want a bump? Is that the bottom of your table? Are they glued together already?

Larry Edgerton
02-02-2024, 4:12 PM
Take a sawcut out of one of the joints on the outer ring and glue back together?

jack duren
02-02-2024, 4:51 PM
.Another photo..

John Kananis
02-02-2024, 5:10 PM
Oh I see now. Those sections or "rings" are independent of each other? If so, you're always going to have these issues as the different pieces and species expand and contract at different rates. The only way to overcome that is to make the top one solid piece - you can still mix the maple and walnut (if that's what you're using there).

jack duren
02-02-2024, 5:39 PM
Not much shrinkage.walnut rings, cherry outer ring.I make custom poker tables when I get bored..

The gap was a thought, but ait will probably be fine. The walnut will darken out and it will probably blend in…

John TenEyck
02-02-2024, 7:14 PM
Seems like those laminated inner rings will be stable throughout the year, but the outer ring from solid wood is going to expand and contract. The only solution I see is to route a dado spanning the joint and put in a flush ring that overlaps the joint, glued to the ring or outer ring, but not both.

John

jack duren
02-02-2024, 7:32 PM
The outer ring won’t expand and contract..

jack duren
02-03-2024, 2:32 PM
I think I’ll leave it and start working on the cup holders…

You can see what I'm trying to do