PDA

View Full Version : Taking Carole's advice.............

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2006, 11:08 PM
today I ordered Woodturning: A Foundation Course by Keith Rowley and I also ordered Learn to Turn by Barry Gross.

I hope to have some reference materials as I begin this new addiction......

Cecil Arnold
02-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Hang on Ken, it will come together in time.

Ernie Nyvall
02-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Cool. You're getting on with it. That's great Ken.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Thats great Ken. It won't be long and we will see pictures of your first bowl.

John Hart
02-06-2006, 7:24 AM
For what it is worth Ken, all my turning thus far has been supported by my reading..here on SMC, books and articles. I just recently started watching some turning tutorials on DIY and have picked up a few pointers and found that I was doing some things incorrectly. I think it was valuable for me to learn this way (school of hard knocks approach). Now, I'm going to get into the finer attributes and start watching more videos and attend a class or two.:)

Gary Max
02-06-2006, 8:15 AM
One of the things you want to pick up from the learning material you are buying is safety.
There are a couple of simple things that will save you from getting hurt.
Heck maybe we can get Mr. Bill to post a short safety list for beginners.
I type about as good as I paint so I ain't going to be much help---LOL

David Fried
02-06-2006, 9:56 AM
Ken,

I started by searching the web for beginners turning classes and then checked to see what book they were using. Most were using the Rowley book. I thought it was very good although I still haven't made it all the way through:rolleyes:

Dave Fried

Rich Stewart
02-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Might not be the best way to start but I put a piece of wood in the lathe and started touching it with different tools. Read everything you can find on the internet. PUT A PIECE OF WOOD IN IT.

Mike Burkeen
02-06-2006, 11:04 AM
I too just started this crazy habit and the first book I got was the on by Kieth Rowley and I have read it cover to cover and it IS full of helpful hints and even takes you step by step through several projects and excercises. Good stuff.