PDA

View Full Version : Electric Guitar Finish

Jarrod Nelson
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
I was thinking of ordering one of the youth guitars that Grizzly has for my son's birthday. I think it would be fun to put some custom paint on it, but I don't have an air compressor. My question is, could I get a good quality finish with the correct spray paint?

Any opinions, suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jarrod

Jim Becker
02-06-2006, 11:02 AM
While you don't have a huge amount of "control" with a spray can, it certainly is possible to use these products on small projects with success. You might want to "practice" on scrap material for a bit before committing to the real project...'better to blow a few bucks on some extra spray cans than be unhappy with the end results.

You might check with a good hobby shop for sprays designed for model building...it may give you more color/effect options. Do be sure to use compatible products if you choose to use multiple colors and/or clear coat.

Steven Wilson
02-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Yes you can. You can get spray paint formulated for musical instruments (check out Stewart MacDonald) that works well. If you're going for a sunburst finish then an airbrush will work well for laying the color coats and then follow up with the spray cans for a top coat. If you're going for a solid color (i.e. candy apple red, lake placid blue, etc) then you may be able to have an automotive paint supplier make spray cans of a custom color for you.

Jarrod Nelson
02-06-2006, 1:21 PM
Thanks for the tips. No sunburst finish. I was thinking something along the lines of Eddy Van Halen's "5150" red, white and black guitar or some simple flames would be fun.

Practicing is an excellent idea too.

Joe Judge
02-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Lots of decent guitar finishing info at 'guitar reranch' (google for it).

I've seen some pretty guitars done with rattle cans, but most appear to use spray (hvlp), and purists claim nitro-lacquer is the thing, etc, etc.

Lots of help and advice, etc at 'project guitar'
Their forums are good, and there are tutorials (with a finishing/refinishing section).

-- joe