PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Finish

Don Lamothe
01-31-2024, 1:47 PM
I made a workbench for the wood shop a few years ago and I just added a vise so it's finally time to "finish" this project. The bench top and base are made of Maple (butcher block style) while the vise jaws and bench tray/trim are Walnut. What finish/treatment/oil/etc... would be best for this?

Thanks in advance for you're input.

Edward Weber
01-31-2024, 1:50 PM
Top of my bench I use Good Stuff
https://woodweldedwest.com/products/the-good-stuff-urethane-gel

Jim Becker
01-31-2024, 2:27 PM
I use BLO which is simple, not a film finish and easily renewable as the bench, itself, is maintained over time. It provides enough glue resistance that it either wipes up easily or chips off easily, as the case may be.

John TenEyck
01-31-2024, 3:17 PM
Tung Oil on mine.

John

Brian Tymchak
02-01-2024, 1:03 PM
I used a single application of Watco Teak Oil on my Ash bench and lumber rack. At it's heart is Linseed oil, thinned with Naptha. The advertising indicates that it gets absorbed deeper into dense wood than other products. I flooded in on and kept adding as it absorbed. Once I saw it staying on the surface, I waited about 10 minutes then vigorously wiped the excess off, rubbing the surface to almost a dry feeling.

mike stenson
02-01-2024, 2:25 PM
50/50 BLO and turpentine on mine.

Turpentine is the choice because I have it on hand. I'd use mineral spirits, naphtha, whatever too.

Rob Luter
02-02-2024, 11:11 AM
Mine is construction lumber below with a butcher block maple top. I used BLO when I built it in 2008. It's worn off the top from a couple flattening sessions, but other than that it's in great shape.