PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with a Grizzly G1071 Sprindle Sander?

Steve Mathews
01-29-2024, 9:10 PM
I don't intend this to be sales pitch. Moderators remove if I'm violating house rules. I've been trying to sell a Grizzly G1071 spindle sander locally for sometime without success and I don't know why. It's priced at about a 1/3 of new not including shipping. I have another spindle sander and I definitely don't need two. The Grizzly is in pristine condition with extras. Is it that there isn't much demand for spindle sanders or is the Grizzly moniker taboo?

Robert Hayward
01-29-2024, 10:07 PM
Do not know of anything wrong with one. I have had mine for several years with no trouble. Mine is not a machine that gets used every day I am in the shop but when I need a spindle sander it sure is handy having it in the corner.

glenn bradley
01-29-2024, 10:23 PM
Agree. Many pro guitar shops use them. You will see them in the background during shop tours of pro builders.

Dave Lehnert
01-29-2024, 10:48 PM
Unless it is someone like me who been into woodworking for a number of years and remembers when that sold new for $499. One tool I was going to purchase back then, but never did. Amazing how much tools have gone up in price over the years.

Jonathan Jung
01-29-2024, 10:50 PM
I think a floor model spindle sander, particularly one with a large table like the Grizzly, is going to appeal to a small percentage of woodworkers. Most guys I know have a tabletop unit, if one at all. I use mine on almost every build, but for most it's a niche.

Jonathan Jung
01-29-2024, 10:51 PM
FWIW I bought mine, barely used and complete, a couple years ago for $450.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2024, 1:08 AM
Steve, I have the G059 which has a 12" disk and oscillating spindle sander. Each of the two modes have earned their keep. I can see where not everyone would necessarily want a standalone spindle sander due to limited floor space. My shop is 720 sq. ft. so I am not as restricted as some hobbyist woodworkers.

Bill Dufour
01-30-2024, 1:32 AM
Location, floor or tabletop model, can you still get spindles and drums for it?
Bill D

Cary Falk
01-30-2024, 2:40 AM
I will go with not a commonly used tool. I have one but I don't use it very often.

Kevin Jenness
01-30-2024, 5:36 AM
Could be your location. I bought one 8 years ago for $600, sold it last year for at least that through either Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

Derek Kessler
01-30-2024, 6:55 AM
The market for spindle sanders can indeed be a bit niche, but that doesn't mean there aren't enthusiasts out there. Have you tried tapping into social media groups dedicated to woodworking or DIY projects? Sometimes, word of mouth within these communities can work wonders.

Lee Schierer
01-30-2024, 7:25 AM
I would guess that many people don't have the means to handle/transport a floor mounted machine. Your location may also have a lot to do with it.

Steve Mathews
01-30-2024, 7:27 AM
Location, floor or tabletop model, can you still get spindles and drums for it?
Bill D
The spindle sander (floor model) is located in Kingman, AZ. It's still made and sold by Grizzly so all of the parts and accessories are available.

mike stenson
01-30-2024, 8:43 AM
The spindle sander (floor model) is located in Kingman, AZ. It's still made and sold by Grizzly so all of the parts and accessories are available.

I think location may have a bit to do with it. I think if you were down in the valley it'd be gone.

Zachary Hoyt
01-30-2024, 8:50 AM
If you were up here I would buy it, but it's a long way. I bought a Craftsman tabletop spindle sander used in 2009 or so and use it every day in the shop, sometimes for as much as half an hour. I thought it would have died years ago, but it keeps going. I'd like to get a floor model if the price was right.