PDA

View Full Version : 3 Vertical Bandsaws?

Steve Mathews
01-29-2024, 6:59 PM
I've been looking for a quality 18" (plus or minus) bandsaw for a while, preferably a used Euro manufacture to supplement my SCMI 24". I was thinking of replacing my Jet 14" and riser block with it. Contrary to those plans a Grizzly G0513X2 followed my home today. The price was just too tempting to resist. After getting it home and playing with it a little I have to say I'm impressed. It doesn't have the foot brake that I wanted but the size and just about everything else seem spot on for my needs. The dilemma that I have now is what to do with the Jet. It has served me well so I was thinking about putting on a narrower blade and keep it for small tight radius work. I don't have an abundance of space but I could make it fit. Anyone else run 3 bandsaws in their hobby shop? Suggestions?

Jim Becker
01-29-2024, 7:43 PM
If you have the space and could benefit from having a smaller "scrolling" saw, the Jet would certainly fit the bill. I'd probably restore it back to be without the riser so you can go back to buying the shorter narrow bands for the scrolling work. BTW, this has nothing to do with "hobby" vs pro". It's about whether it would be useful for YOUR work.

Tom M King
01-29-2024, 7:53 PM
I had a 24", two 10", and a 14" but sold the 14" because it hadn't been used for years and I'm out of room. The little 10"er's are used the most for different jobs. One keeps a 1/4" blade and the other 1/8" with a Carter stabilizer. The little ones don't take up much room but sure are handy to have ready to go. My 14" also had a riser, and after getting the 24" I wished it didn't have it but I never went to the trouble to take it back off.

Richard Coers
01-29-2024, 8:07 PM
What got left out the last time you asked about buying a bandsaw earlier this month Steve?

Steve Mathews
01-29-2024, 9:01 PM
What got left out the last time you asked about buying a bandsaw earlier this month Steve?

My desire back then and maybe still is to get a quality midsize bandsaw that would serve most of my needs. The 24" SCMI is dedicated strictly for larger resawing. I'm content with that setup. I sort of gave up trying to find a used Euro, especially being so remotely located and was beginning to look for something new. That's where I got stuck and confused. There's so many available to choose from. Then this Grizzly became available at such a low price that I couldn't pass it up. So, I don't know if I'll keep the Grizzly or Jet for that matter. I'll probably work with what I have for now and see what happens. The only thing certain is that I'm constantly making changes to my shop. I find some perverse pleasure in that.

John Kananis
01-30-2024, 11:35 AM
Perfect scenario (for me) would be to have 3. A 14" with a 1/4 or 3/8 blade, my current 14bx would be fitted with a 1/2" carbide blade and a larger saw with a 1&1/4" woodmaster ct. That being said, I have 1 and make do for now but I've kept an eye open on the used market for a quality Italian made (larger) machine. Prices are still too high right now imho but once the covid warriors start getting rid of their machines, it'll get better and I can wait.