PDA

View Full Version : Shop dust management

Robin Barrows
01-28-2024, 10:38 PM
I have a large Powermatic dust collector in its own air tight room with ductwork running to all my shop tools. The air pressure from that room is vented through a 2 foot square box filter back into the shop. The result is a very fine dust that is re-introduced to the shop that I'd like to contain. I've thought about hanging a sheet or piece of plastic in front of the filter but would like to do a better job of capturing that dust. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?

Thanks,

Robin

Larry Frank
01-29-2024, 7:29 AM
Why is there dust coming out of the dust collector??? With my dust collector which has a HEPA filter there is no visible dust coming from the filter.

Maurice Mcmurry
01-29-2024, 8:59 AM
The air pressure from that room is vented through a 2 foot square box filter back into the shop.

We had a similar situation. Our return air came through a much larger opening that housed several layers of washable filter media. That system used a row of needle felt bags. We eventually replaced the bags with an Oneida pleated filter. The Oneida is much cleaner.

https://www.grainger.com/category/hvac-and-refrigeration/air-filters/air-filter-pads-and-rolls/air-filter-rolls?analytics=PLAPDP
Our filter box was 24" X 72"

Myles Moran
01-29-2024, 10:33 AM
Given that a good dust collector filter (not a filter bag) would be looking at 200+ square feet of filter area, I'd be apprehensive about trying to better filter that air through a 4 square foot opening without significant reducing performance. Any chance you can upgrade the dust collector filter itself to something with a finer filter?

Jim Becker
01-29-2024, 11:47 AM
I agree with the assessment of others that the issue is largely about the filter media on the collector. Improve that as a first step. Also, as and aside, if the vent back to the shop is a direct pathway, for better sound isolation, get it more toward a non-direct pathway...one or more direction changes before exiting into the larger space.

Tom Bender
02-08-2024, 6:43 AM
Definitely do something. The fine dust is the hazardous dust.