PDA

View Full Version : Forums wound up too tight

jack duren
01-28-2024, 3:21 PM
Are woodworking forums wound up too tight. I tried to make a funny comment on a hobby woodworking forum and two members make rude comments back. At the beginning of the post I wrote”Funny” and two non contributing members to the post decide to join in just to make rude comments.

man…. Don’t have a sense of humor on woodworking..

I think it was Jim Becker who said he couldn’t get respect on another forum , so he left..

Jim Koepke
01-28-2024, 3:32 PM
Like so many other public spaces, there is always some troll who feels that by bursting someone else's bubble they can make their own bubble bigger.

jtk

jack duren
01-28-2024, 3:36 PM
I’ve not been able to get into shop since July. So I have spent a lot of time on that forum. I got banned for two weeks posting too much. Really? Said I argued a lot, well when I’m receiving rude comments I guess I respond when I should ignore..

I’m pretty sure that because I did woodworking for a living , some , not all hobbyist feel threatened..

Jim Koepke
01-28-2024, 3:38 PM
I’ve not been able to get into shop since July. So I have spent a lot of time on that forum. I got banned for two weeks posting too much. Really?

LOL!

Look at my post count and you can see they do not have such a rule here.

Maybe I should get dressed and head out to the shop.

jtk

Bob Coates
01-28-2024, 4:12 PM
Hey Jim,
That is not many posts, only about 5 per day over 16 yrs. LOL
Most in "Time-for-some-levity" keep up good work...
Bob

Warren Lake
01-28-2024, 4:12 PM
I dont need a pat on the back it came from people in the trade.

What forums have are hecklers. Past when I mentioned not to wide belt and machine after as you embed grit in the wood. If the hecklers were smart they would find a company that makes sandpaper and an employee who knows stuff and it would have been verified.

Old people in this trade knew stuff that would make heads of internet gurus spin around. It was a different world and on top of lots that is not out the top shops never shared their stuff with others as they all competed for the same jobs at the same time and needed to be better and smarter.

Warren Lake
01-28-2024, 4:47 PM
"I think it was Jim Becker who said he couldn’t get respect on another forum , so he left"

I think that was Rodney Dangerfield.

I saw a you tube when Rodney was at the end hooked up to machines and. Jim Carrey visits to see him and says "Dont worry Rodney ill make sure to tell the world you were gay". Jim said all the machines started beeping and staff came in whats going on. So Rodney had a sense of humour right to the end.

Steve Jenkins
01-28-2024, 6:17 PM
Years ago when the fine woodworking forum was getting started i made a joke about how much entrepreneur sound like I tripped in manure. Amazing how little sense of humor some people have

Maurice Mcmurry
01-28-2024, 6:58 PM
Woodworking, "If it was easy everyone would be doing it" When you participate in a forum you have inserted yourself into a group where everyone is doing it, and doing it better than me. That seems to trigger a defensive reaction. It is an opportunity to learn. It should be fun. Using real names helps weed out bad behavior.

jack duren
01-28-2024, 7:05 PM
It’s poor moderation.

the topic is curved seat. I suggested using a route4 a# we did at tye furniture when the CNC was too busy and another said Spokeshave. Funny if all 700 bar seats we did were with a spokeshave.,,.

So two individuals got upset.

Stan Calow
01-28-2024, 7:32 PM
I think it's really dangerous to use humor, sarcasm, or irony in online discussions. People cant see the non-verbal clues, and not everyone's reading comprehension, understanding of context, or even idiomatic American english language skills, are capable of identifying intended humor. I try to keep humor out, but sometimes the "that's what she said" temptation is too much.

And some people just like to fight.

jack duren
01-28-2024, 7:39 PM
I think it's really dangerous to use humor, sarcasm, or irony in online discussions. People cant see the non-verbal clues, and not everyone's reading comprehension, understanding of context, or even idiomatic American english language skills, are capable of identifying intended humor. I try to keep humor out, but sometimes the "that's what she said" temptation is too much.

I’m southern and your using way too many syllables and big words…

Larry Frank
01-28-2024, 7:58 PM
Yes, using humor, sarcasm and such opens one up to be misinterpreted. When I read such comment, I take into account how that poster has posted in the past. if they have been argumentative, I might interpret their comment incorrectly.

jack duren
01-28-2024, 8:06 PM
That forum has had many problems. Moderation is slow to handle problem and they get out of control.

Patty Hann
01-28-2024, 9:05 PM
Is this that forum's theme song?

https://youtu.be/FshU58nI0Ts

Warren Lake
01-28-2024, 9:21 PM
id post the german version but be a bit racey for here

Cameron Wood
01-28-2024, 10:11 PM
I'd say you are in the lead for #1 grumpy old man voice around here lately (NTTAWWT),

so your humor might not be coming through.

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2024, 9:07 AM

Agreed Stan, written humour is beyond my writing skills as all the other clues are missing.

Regards, Rod.

jack duren
01-29-2024, 9:52 AM
Noticed the ones doing the most talking over there on my comment are the least skilled woodworkers there, but have found something they are good at, Lynching…One person makes a comment and the others just join in..

Warren Lake
01-29-2024, 9:53 AM
Dont understand you code there Cameron. Recent comment on a thread got a post of the year or some comment like that. Id say if you can get a few people to laugh on a saw stop thread you've done okay.

George Yetka
01-29-2024, 11:29 AM
This thread reminds me of my wife. Poor lady tries to be funny and playful via text or email but it comes off so violently harsh. We're working on it.

Best way to deal with harsh comments is to reread them and see if it can be taken a less harsh way and if not, ignore it. The ones who are getting aggressive on a woodworking forum are not anyone you need to talk with. I'm here for knowledge and ideas and when I can I will offer my ideas or experience(may not be the best). This site has better manners than the rest in my experience

Jim Becker
01-29-2024, 11:43 AM
I think it was Jim Becker who said he couldn’t get respect on another forum , so he left..
Wasn't me since this is the only woodworking forum I've ever participated in other than some machine brand specific groups like Festool, SCM/Minimax and Camaster. But I sure wouldn't stay anywhere that I felt unwelcome.

As an aside, what you describe applies to forums of any subject. I help manage other forums with other topics (non-woodworking) and the same behavior exists. Since all of those have TOS similar to here, it gets dealt with one way or another. People gonna people...and it's become a "badge of honor" in recent times for some folks to be...um...{descriptor not permitted by TOS} ;)

Warren Lake
01-29-2024, 11:46 AM
everyone is here for some knowledge. Some have stuff to sell.

Getting heckled when you share by someone who doesnt know and doesnt bother to check only leads to people sharing less.

Some just leave. Patrick past had many good posts both on machinery and on his work, just one that comes to mind. That saw he rebuilt was stunning when it was done.

jack duren
01-29-2024, 11:47 AM
Wasn't me since this is the only woodworking forum I've ever participated in other than some machine brand specific groups like Festool, SCM/Minimax and Camaster. But I sure wouldn't stay anywhere that I felt unwelcome.

As an aside, what you describe applies to forums of any subject. I help manage other forums with other topics (non-woodworking) and the same behavior exists. Since all of those have TOS similar to here, it gets dealt with one way or another. People gonna people...and it's become a "badge of honor" in recent times for some folks to be...um...{descriptor not permitted by TOS} ;)

My fault of I got that wrong, but could have sworn you made that reply one time..

Edward Weber
01-29-2024, 11:47 AM
Naturally sarcastic here, often comes off as being a know it all jerk.

It's hard to make a joke or poke fun at something if a portion of the audience needs it explained to them, this is often where they get offended and form a negative opinion.

jack duren
01-29-2024, 11:49 AM
I enjoy helping new woodworkers, but some are there just to chat and look for things to chat about. I wish I could just go back to work full time. I wasn’t on the forums during that time much.. Notice when I registered here. Not much time spend on here..

Malcolm Schweizer
01-29-2024, 12:12 PM
The internet has given a voice to many who need not have one. Every forum is like this. You have the know-it-alls who are completely wrong, the antagonists, and the perpetually angry. That said, you have a lot of great folks too- especially here. My hat is off to the moderators.

Cameron Wood
01-29-2024, 12:39 PM
Dont understand you code there Cameron. Recent comment on a thread got a post of the year or some comment like that. Id say if you can get a few people to laugh on a saw stop thread you've done okay.

I was referring to jack duren not you, sorry for not being clear.

jack duren
01-29-2024, 1:09 PM
I don’t make jokes on the Sawstop thread, but do laugh at ignorant comments..

Brian Runau
01-29-2024, 1:11 PM
I am an anti social nonconforming human. Not a joiner, I have appreciated the help I receive here, but had to bite my tongue a couple times. I generally don't like most people who lack self awareness and ability to want to see themselves as they are vs who their perception of themselves through their human brain tells them they are, so I mostly keep to myself. Brian

Ron Citerone
01-29-2024, 1:14 PM
Naturally sarcastic here, often comes off as being a know it all jerk.

It's hard to make a joke or poke fun at something if a portion of the audience needs it explained to them, this is often where they get offended and form a negative opinion.

I’m from Delco PA. Here being a little sarcastic and gentle busting is kind of the norm, even expected, lol

I have learned on forums and when traveling around the U.S. people think you’re a wise guy so I have learned to tone it down.

One issue with woodworkers and woodworking forums is people want to compete about who knows more. I figure I know more than some, and some know more than me. So I am here to help some and learn from others. Egos get in the way of learning some times.

mike stenson
01-29-2024, 1:26 PM
My wife tells me this forum is very often largely old men complaining about new things. She's not all that wrong.

Jim Becker
01-29-2024, 1:38 PM
My wife tells me this forum is very often largely old men complaining about new things. She's not all that wrong.
We are not old. We are mature. :) :D

Ron Citerone
01-29-2024, 3:51 PM

She is a very perceptive woman!

Edward Weber
01-29-2024, 7:19 PM
I’m from Delco PA. Here being a little sarcastic and gentle busting is kind of the norm, even expected, lol

I have learned on forums and when traveling around the U.S. people think you’re a wise guy so I have learned to tone it down.

One issue with woodworkers and woodworking forums is people want to compete about who knows more. I figure I know more than some, and some know more than me. So I am here to help some and learn from others. Egos get in the way of learning some times.

Must be a PA thing, Originally from Philly, then north to Bucks county for many years.

I personally don't like the competition aspect of who knows more. I know I've learned a lot from forums, some good. For me, end result is what matters, you can say whatever you want about how much you know or what tools you have but the final product tells the tale.

Alan Lightstone
01-29-2024, 9:15 PM
Id say if you can get a few people to laugh on a saw stop thread you've done okay.
Now that really made me laugh...:D

Bill Dufour
01-30-2024, 11:47 PM
Do alligators live under bridges with internet trolls?
BilL D.