PDA

View Full Version : Modular Shelf Design Help

Michael Colip
01-27-2024, 3:48 PM
Hi Guys, could really use some input from you pros on how to design a large shelving unit. My biggest issue is that I need to build these in smaller 'modular' units. I use a wheelchair and it is difficult to build, clamp and move a physically large project. I'd like to keep the size of each box to around 36" high by 45" wide. with these dimensions I would do a center support.

The shelving units will be on a wall behind a bar and surround a large wall mounted TV. I'll need to fill up about 6' of wall space on one side, 5' on the other side and about 2' above the TV. My initial plan is to build each box by using dados.

Couple of questions:

Is there any way i can get away with 1/2" Ply? This would certainly make each unit easier to handle.

I plan to use a face frame on the front. because I plan to build modular shelves (several boxes that get fastened together) some of the face frame widths will be 3/4" and others 1 1/2". Won't this look odd? Is there any way around this?

Also, should each case or box have have a back? This adds an extra step but could help with squareness.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you all have on this. It seems a bit daunting.

Thanks so much,
Mike

Ron Selzer
01-27-2024, 5:17 PM
"I'd like to keep the size of each box to around 36" high by 45" wide. with these dimensions I would do a center support."
I don't understand the 45" wide, dosen't equally divide into "6' of wall space on one side, 5' on the other side"
Looks like three 2'x3' high on one side and two 2'wide by 3' high plus a 1' wide by 3' high other side and then what is needed above TV
Main thing is to build what you can safely work with. IF you want a center support for a cabinet then build two instead of one.

"Is there any way i can get away with 1/2" Ply? This would certainly make each unit easier to handle."
Yes I would recommend this, 1'4" backs

I plan to use a face frame on the front. because I plan to build modular shelves (several boxes that get fastened together) some of the face frame widths will be 3/4" and others 1 1/2". Won't this look odd? Is there any way around this?
make all face frame widths the same, 1 1/4" wide, 1/2"+1/2"+1/8"+1/8"

Also, should each case or box have a back? This adds an extra step but could help with squareness.
I would use at least a 1/4" back. ^would^
Ron

Michael Colip
01-28-2024, 1:54 PM
Thanks Ron, 1/2" cases will be much easier to make.