PDA

View Full Version : Another Cooking Thread- Rice in the Oven

Bruce Wrenn
01-26-2024, 12:59 PM
Most don't think about cooking rice in the oven, but it's so easy and rice turns out perfect every time. You will need a pan with a tight fitting lid, or heavy duty aluminum foil. The ratio of water to rice is 5:3 ( 5 cups water to 3 cups of rice, etc.) Bring water to a boil on stove top, adding salt and or butter. Place rice in pan and pour boiling water over it, mixing well. Cover pan, and place in a 375 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Remove from oven, and fluff. This how restaurants cook rice.

roger wiegand
01-26-2024, 7:15 PM
Bought a rice cooker 40 years ago, never looked back. I use it a couple times a week, so a dedicated appliance makes sense, The rice is quick to make, trivial to set up, and also comes out perfect.

All the Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc restaurants I frequent use rice cookers, some of impressive proportions.

Jim Koepke
01-26-2024, 7:54 PM
It is so easy to cook on top of the stove.

A lot of rice now days comes with instruction of how to cook it in a micro wave oven.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
01-26-2024, 8:32 PM
It is so easy to cook on top of the stove.

A lot of rice now days comes with instruction of how to cook it in a micro wave oven.

jtkDoes it include instructions on how to clean up microwave when rice boils over. I do stove top also, but when I need rice for more than 20 servings, it's in the oven for me. I don't need another appliance to take care of, so rice cooker is out.

Patty Hann
01-26-2024, 9:10 PM
Does it include instructions on how to clean up microwave when rice boils over. I do stove top also, but when I need rice for more than 20 servings, it's in the oven for me. I don't need another appliance to take care of, so rice cooker is out.

^^^^This^^^ for both reasons

Jim Becker
01-27-2024, 9:32 AM
I have a Staub enameled cast iron rice cooker pot (a small coquette/dutch over). 2:1 water:rice; ten minutes low simmer after bringing to boil and covering. (that biol takes about a minute on my induction range) and then ten minutes with no heat. I typically do not make more than a cup of rice at a time and mostly it's a half-cup.

Bill Dufour
01-27-2024, 12:59 PM
My trick is I do not use a measuring cup. I use a teacup or similar of the correct size. Fill to top with rice, level with knife. Dump dry rice in bowl. Fill cup to top with water and dump water, twice, in pot to boil. I find this easier and faster then trying to read a measuring cup with rice.
It is best to measure the rice first and set it aside. If you measure the water first the rice will stick to the cup and be hard to get it all into the boiling water.
Bill D

Bill Dufour
01-27-2024, 1:06 PM
As long as this is a cooking thread I bought some silicone cooking gloves. Cotton gloves inside for ease of on/off. Silicone no melt exterior. I am 6'2" and was able to get some that are a good fit from Amazon. Wonder if they would work for welding better then the heavy leather gantlets??
Bill D
https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Barbecue-Fireproof-Prevention-Silicone/dp/B08X4R656W/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1I39S6H7WHLTK&keywords=silicone%2Boven%2Bgloves%2Bwith%2Bfingers&qid=1706378434&sprefix=silicone%2Boven%2Bgloves%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-1&th=1

Jim Becker
01-27-2024, 7:39 PM
My trick is I do not use a measuring cup. I use a teacup or similar of the correct size. Fill to top with rice, level with knife. Dump dry rice in bowl. Fill cup to top with water and dump water, twice, in pot to boil. I find this easier and faster then trying to read a measuring cup with rice.
It is best to measure the rice first and set it aside. If you measure the water first the rice will stick to the cup and be hard to get it all into the boiling water.
Bill D
That will work with rice because you can use a simple ratio and it's flexible given it's largely about water absorption, but you're mixing dry and wet measurements. One cup of rice (dry) is a different physical volume than than each cup of water (wet). Never do it that way when making a cake! And there, dry ingredients really need to be measured by weight rather than physical volume.

Jim McCue
01-28-2024, 10:57 AM
I've been making rice in the oven since seeing/reading Alton Brown recipe 15+ years ago.

I've been cooking 375 for 60 minutes, sounds like I can try going less.

As far as measuring, I used to do the 5:3 liquid:rice ratio and measure it accurately. Since then I have discovered a cheat similar to Bill D. I use one pound of rice to one quart of liquid. I try to get the brown rice in one pound bags, even if it costs more per pound that way. For liquid I use one quart of chicken stock, which is how they come in the cardboard containers. One package (quart) of stock and one package (pound) of rice is almost exactly the 5:3 ratio, comes out well, and minimizes measuring.

If using water only I add butter and salt, if using chicken stock I don't add anything.

mike stenson
01-28-2024, 11:10 AM
I'm going to guess this method yields rice you can't eat with chopsticks. No mention of rinsing the chaff off either, which is pretty fundimental.

Patty Hann
01-29-2024, 5:08 AM
I'm going to guess this method yields rice you can't eat with chopsticks. No mention of rinsing the chaff off either, which is pretty fundimental.
I would think people already know you have to rinse rice, just like they know to rinse certain other foods, like produce.
And not being able to eat the rice with chopsticks is not a problem if you don't typically use chopsticks ;)

Michael Schuch
01-29-2024, 6:56 AM
Dump rice into rice cooker. Add water to the proper line. Press start. The cooker sings a tune when the rice is done and automatically switches to
"keep warm". It comes out perfect every time even if I get distracted and don't get back to it until 4 hours later.

mike stenson
01-29-2024, 8:18 AM
I would think people already know you have to rinse rice, just like they know to rinse certain other foods, like produce.
And not being able to eat the rice with chopsticks is not a problem if you don't typically use chopsticks ;)

I've seen a lot of people fail to rinse rice ;)

If you can't eat it with chopsticks, it's the wrong texture. :D

Patty Hann
01-29-2024, 8:37 AM
I've seen a lot of people fail to rinse rice ;)

If you can't eat it with chopsticks, it's the wrong texture. :D
It has to be sticky (i guess) to eat it with two sticks....
Some people prefer rice fluffy AND not clumpy, that falls apart into separate grains

Jim Becker
01-29-2024, 11:14 AM
Rinsing isn't required and sometimes isn't desired, depending on the consistency you want to achieve with the rice since rinsing removes starch to make it "less sticky". What kind of rice matters, too.

But I do agree that folks who do not use chopsticks don't need to worry about the rice being mo-sticky. We do use them for some of the Asian style meals I make, so if rice is on the menu for that, it's made to suit. :)

mike stenson
01-29-2024, 11:30 AM
Rinsing isn't required and sometimes isn't desired, depending on the consistency you want to achieve with the rice since rinsing removes starch to make it "less sticky". What kind of rice matters, too.

But I do agree that folks who do not use chopsticks don't need to worry about the rice being mo-sticky. We do use them for some of the Asian style meals I make, so if rice is on the menu for that, it's made to suit. :)

All the rice here is rinsed until it runs clear. It's also always sticky, so I'm not sure what effect the rinsing has, other than removing dirt. Then again, my wife's asian and I don't think it's possible for her to make non-sticky rice.

Bruce Wrenn
01-29-2024, 9:19 PM
All the rice here is rinsed until it runs clear. It's also always sticky, so I'm not sure what effect the rinsing has, other than removing dirt. Then again, my wife's Asian and I don't think it's possible for her to make non-sticky rice.Parboiled rice solves this problem. Just bought another 20# bag, which we split between family and friends. Paid less than a buck a pound in this size bag.

mike stenson
01-29-2024, 10:03 PM
Parboiled rice solves this problem. Just bought another 20# bag, which we split between family and friends. Paid less than a buck a pound in this size bag.

It's really not a problem, but I love teasing her about it.

We eat rice 4-5 times a week, at this point I honestly don't like "fluffy" rice. Those are the bags we get, the worst was when rice was running low in 2020, that and spam disappeared... Crisis around here.