PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Target water based question

Roger Reynolds
02-05-2006, 6:04 PM
Conversion varnish final coat?
Today, I am spraying my first furniture project - 2 night stands with Target USL. So far the prescription is oil based stain (dried for several days), Target EM 8800 sealer and multiple coats of Target USL. I was thinking I should use the EM8000 conversion varnish as a final coat on the tops for toughness and UV protection. Both the USL and EM8000 are satin. If I use it on the tops should I also spray the entire piece? Is it even necessary at all? Any traps or concerns? Any thoughts from the more experienced would be appreciated?

thanks,
--Roger

Russ Massery
02-05-2006, 9:49 PM
Roger, I been using USL on my kitchen cabinets. It's my under standing that you can spray any of there products on USL. But would suggest posting this question Target Coatings Forum. I've gotten very quick responses from the moderator and pres. Jeff Weiss.http://www.targetcoatings.com/finishers_forum.html

Tim Sproul
02-06-2006, 4:13 PM
How is the satin? are multiple coats clouding the wood grain? I've read through multiple sources that it is generally better to layer gloss and then for the final coat or two to use semi, satin or flat if you want a clear finish wihtout the gloss.

I just started using USL...it is great stuff. I would think that for night stands, USL is plenty durable enough.