PDA

View Full Version : Contactor for 240 V 3-phase motor

Mark Gibney
01-25-2024, 2:47 PM
I need a contactor for a 240 v 3-phase motor, it'll be on a 20 amp circuit.
The amount of choices online baffle me.
Anyone have a brand they can recommend?

thanks, Mark

Dan Friedrichs
01-25-2024, 3:09 PM
Do you need a bare contactor (ie - just the "switch" bit), or do you need a motor starter (which would include a contactor, overload protection, start/stop buttons, and likely have all that inside an enclosure)?

For either, try: https://www.elimia.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=38

Andrew Hughes
01-25-2024, 3:39 PM
I like and use square D. I had to buy new contacts and coil the parts were super easy to find NOS. Inexpensive too.
Good Luck

Bill Dufour
01-25-2024, 11:41 PM
I like square D or seimens/furnas the French brand looks okay. Get a newer one with adjustable overloads. I would rather get a used quality one from the bay then new made in China junk that has no support new.
You can usually add same brand overloads to a contactor.
The cost of a bare enclosure can often be more then a used unit in an enclosure. And a used unit, hopefully, has the correct size enclosure so no math needed.
Coil voltage?
Bill D

Rob Luter
01-26-2024, 6:07 AM
When I was building equipment we used what was referred to as a "Definite Purpose" motor starter with adjustable solid state overload protection. It was a reasonable priced alternative to a NEMA style contactor and overload, and was a very durable and long lasting choice. We applied them to single and three phase motors from 3hp to about 50HP. Above 50HP things got a little more sophisticated. That said, I made ventilation equipment that was turned on and off very infrequently. For something going on and off multiple times a day, we used NEMA switchgear. Furnas, Square-D, and AB were brands we used. My suggestion would be to visit your local electrical supply house and see what they recommend for the load and duty cycle you are facing.

Bradley Gray
01-26-2024, 8:18 AM
Southland Electric is a good source for used.

Mark Gibney
01-26-2024, 9:21 AM
Dan, I need just the bare contactor.
Thanks for the recommends people. I'll go to my local electrical supply and see if they have a Square D or another of similar quality.

Bruce Wrenn
01-26-2024, 8:19 PM
Dan, I need just the bare contactor.
Thanks for the recommends people. I'll go to my local electrical supply and see if they have a Square D or another of similar quality.Check with a local HVAC supply house.