PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1236 hand crank

Russell Neyman
01-23-2024, 3:49 PM
One of my student's Jet 1236 lathe is missing this wheel that mounts on the lefthand end of the headstock. It has a lefthand thread and a hole for locking the shaft. I'll be doggoned if I can find it on any parts diagram or supplier. I'd call it a hand crank but I guess it might be known as something else. Anyone have a part number or a source for these?

Earl McLain
01-23-2024, 5:56 PM
Try "hand wheel" or "handwheel". Check McMaster-Carr for an assortment. hand wheels | McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/products/hand-wheels/)

Robert Hayward
01-23-2024, 6:51 PM
If you cannot find one to fit that should not be too difficult to make. A left handed bolt with the proper thread and some hard wood is all it would take.

Russell Neyman
01-23-2024, 7:29 PM
... that should not be too difficult to make. . Agreed. That option always looms.

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2024, 9:45 PM
Probably simple enough to make your own but there are a number of them on the web: https://www.ereplacementparts.com/handwheel-p-757535.html

Derek Kessler
01-23-2024, 10:19 PM
Check eReplacementParts, they seem to have something that matches your description. But if you can't find an exact match, making your own should do the trick.

Richard Coers
01-24-2024, 12:14 PM
Grizzly would be where I go. All the variations of that lathe were made in the same factory. Trouble is, that everyone is discontinuing that model so parts will be a real issue with the reeves drive especially.

Walter Mooney
01-24-2024, 12:17 PM
I started on a Jet 1236, but it’s been a number of years since I turned on it. With that hand wheel installed, you won’t be able to use a knock-out bar through the headstock when needed, IIRC.

Bill Howatt
01-24-2024, 3:48 PM
Would need a hole through it. I'd find not being able to use the knock-out bar with no hassle a lot more useful than the handwheel. My General has been running for some time now without it's wheel since I took it off to put my vacuum adapter on and I can't say it is much of an issue. (The General's wheel threads on the outside of the spindle so the knockout can be used with it on or off.)