PDA

View Full Version : DVR XP Advice

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 5:11 PM
Okay...so here I am with a little problem. I pretty much have the bench designed/built. See http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30695
... so I have a decision/problem. Do I "really" need to hook it up to 220? I have only enough space to do 1-220 in the main panel. Don't even go with the upgrade to 200Amp answer...I'll just have to go long with a cost estimate that's already cost a rift in the family.

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 5:23 PM
The 2hp version requires 240v supply according to the specs on their site. This is consistant with virtually all 2hp and above machines I've seen.

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 5:31 PM
The 2hp version requires 240v supply according to the specs on their site. This is consistant with virtually all 2hp and above machines I've seen.

Ya...but. (Have you heard that in Russian yet? ;-))...I want to know if the lack/reduction of HP (1.7 vs 2.3) is really worth the added problem (all mine) of making the connection 220 vs 110.

Bill Stevener
02-05-2006, 5:39 PM
Hi Glenn,

I turn with a DVR. I will note this, it all depends on what your plans are for turning. If on the smaller scale, 120v is fine. If you plan on larger turnings I strongly recommend the very simple change over to 240v.

I turn using the DVR with 240v and its amazing the change in the kick.

This is something you can do at any time, you may wish to put in a 240v receptacle and not dedicate it to any one piece of equipment.

Hope this helps some,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 5:45 PM
Sure does Bill...If it makes a difference I want to make sure I have it planned or make it a just do it.

Dick Parr
02-05-2006, 5:48 PM
Glen I also have mine hooked to 220V for the added hp. I am very happy with it as it is.

Good luck with your decision.

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 5:51 PM
As always...thanks Dick.

Bill Stevener
02-05-2006, 5:52 PM
I have turned up to 30" diam. (slow and not hoging it) on the DVR, in the 240v mode. I would not have attempted it using the 120v.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-05-2006, 7:20 PM
Glenn - I'm no electrician. About as far from it as possible. But I do know that there are a number of ways to create a 220 line even though the space availibilty in the load center are next to none.

You might want to pose this question upstairs in the Main Ball Room as it will attract a wider readership. Although that's not likely tonight - I heard something about a football game.

Glenn Clabo
02-05-2006, 7:36 PM
I heard something about a football game.

Oh ya...who's playing? I thought the Patroits season ended.

Andy Hoyt
02-05-2006, 7:40 PM
You know I'm not really sure.

We haven't had TV for a while - last game I watched was between the Boston Bulldogs and the Kenosha Maroons.

Cecil Arnold
02-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Glenn, for the time being I have three 220v machines in the shop a TS, BS, and my 3520a and only one 220v outlet. I do have a very nice, large (12 ga.) extension cord that does yoeman service. If you chose this route it should not be too costly to run a 10ga wire to a box in the shop and add a 220v breaker to the box. My set up is a DIY, and before everyone starts with safety issues it meets code, but you might consider installing the circut and box yourself and having an electrican cut it in for you. That might save s few $$.

John Hart
02-06-2006, 7:13 AM
Glenn..I can't speak to the DVR but my lathe is a 2 HP machine. In the vast majority of cases, it is more than enough power for what I do....But there have been times with some of the larger hollowforms and bowls where I wished that I had just a tad more....course then, a quick sharpening of tools and a little lighter touch seem to solve any of those problems.

Dave Wimmer
02-06-2006, 8:09 AM
Glen, If you need more space in the main panel, you can replace some of the standard size breakers with slim line breakers that take up half the space in the box. Two of the slim breaker mount in the same space as one standard size breakers.

George Troy Hurlburt
02-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I have a DVR operating on regular 110. The machine is now 3 1/2 years old and does just fine. However I do not put big blocks on it, I use a Vicmarc 300 shortbed for that. If you have trouble with the lathe bogging down you might consider 220. My friends DVR has 220 and frankly I can't tell that his is any more powerful than mine. So my advice is use what you have. GT

Bill Stevener
02-06-2006, 1:31 PM
I can only suggest, try chucking up a 30" + piece. That will let one know that the the additional voltage is worth the cost of a new plug.

"Experience is the best teacher. (and I don't know who said it first) :D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 1:40 PM
Hey Bill!

Now that's a sweet tailstock.

Is it from the Grizzz or Harbor Freight?:cool::eek::cool::D

Bill Stevener
02-06-2006, 2:38 PM
Don't know Andy, may be a four runner to the "IT contest".

My version of a gap bed lathe. :D

What do you think of the tool rest. :eek:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Glenn Clabo
02-06-2006, 2:54 PM
"Experience is the best teacher. (and I don't know who said it first) :D
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Cool! There's another saying about innovation is the mother of invention...and here you are reinventing a wheel with a innovative tailstock.

Andy Hoyt
02-06-2006, 4:21 PM
.... What do you think of the tool rest. Bill....

Niceah! Suggest you team up with the folks at Jorgy and market that puppy! Bet you could sell one maybe two of 'em.