PDA

View Full Version : First Spatula

John Kananis
01-21-2024, 8:25 PM
I'm improving a bit with the skew (still have a long way to go). Fun and quick little project/exercise. Its 12 inches long.

Richard Coers
01-21-2024, 8:56 PM
Nice work, but I would have left a little more material at the base of the handle. My wife just snapped a wood spatula the other day. It was a flat one that was a gift decades ago, but some stiff cookie mix did it in.

John Kananis
01-21-2024, 8:59 PM
Thanks Richard. And I can see cookie mix doing the deed. By base I'm assuming you mean where I put the bead?

Bill Howatt
01-22-2024, 9:43 AM
Very nice. My personal preference would be to leave the bead out - it spoils the nice flowing curve you have, draws the eye from the overall piece to it and the 2 joints of the bead to the shaft will be little gunk collectors.

John Kananis
01-22-2024, 10:54 AM
Hi Bill, I purposely didn't undercut the bead so that stuff wouldn't collect there but I didn't consider it would take away from the aesthetics. Thanks for the input and perspective.

Very nice. My personal preference would be to leave the bead out - it spoils the nice flowing curve you have, draws the eye from the overall piece to it and the 2 joints of the bead to the shaft will be little gunk collectors.

Richard Coers
01-22-2024, 2:03 PM
Thanks Richard. And I can see cookie mix doing the deed. By base I'm assuming you mean where I put the bead?
That is what I meant John. Your design is very graceful and pleasing to look at, but sometimes you need a heavier tool in the kitchen. Your's will fare well for soups and pasta.

Brian Brown
01-22-2024, 8:41 PM
That's really quite nice. What wood did your use? Some will be tougher than others, but I still question it's use for cookie dough. I have not been bitten by the wood kitchen ware bug yet, but I'm sure it is coming.

John Kananis
01-22-2024, 9:54 PM
It's cherry. I'm not discriminating at this point, if I can spin it into something, then I'm all for trying. And thank you for the nice compliment - your work is quite good, I've been watching the (really cool) pieces you've been posting.

That's really quite nice. What wood did your use? Some will be tougher than others, but I still question it's use for cookie dough. I have not been bitten by the wood kitchen ware bug yet, but I'm sure it is coming.