PDA

View Full Version : Cutting slots for panel in legs and offset stretchers/rails

Holmes Anderson
01-21-2024, 4:00 PM
I'm working on a vanity that has 2"x2" legs joined by 3/4" stretchers/rails (lower ones are 4" above end of leg) with faces that are not flush with the faces of the legs - the faces of the stretchers/rails are inset relative to the faces of the legs. I need to cut slots for panels, which can be done with a slotting bit and bearing on a router table but the bit height will differ for the legs relative to the stretchers/rails due to the offset. Any error in bit height will create an obvious gap so I'm wondering if there is a better way than running parts separately and changing the height of the bit. For example, I could clamp the frames up and run each of them as one part at the same bit height because my router table is big enough to support the entire frame. Maybe there is a better way? Looking at photos from small shops online it seems that most people avoid slotting into the offset legs.

Richard Coers
01-21-2024, 4:40 PM
The chip out from slotting bits can be brutal. I use a 2 flute spiral bit in the router table for stopped cuts and just make careful setups.

Rod Sheridan
01-21-2024, 7:08 PM
How about a proper grooving cutter in a shaper with both scoring and hogging cutters?

Regards, Rod.

Paul F Franklin
01-21-2024, 8:01 PM
I do it the way Richard does. But first I make a few spacers that are the thickness of the offset; then with a little thought, these can be used on the router table between the work and the fence so a single setup can do both pieces. Depending on the details, the spacer may be used with the legs or it may be used with the stiles; that's where the thought comes in :)

The spacers may also come in handy when laying out the joinery for the stile/leg joint, especially if you happen to be using a domino.

Larry Edgerton
01-21-2024, 8:42 PM
Slotting bit is fine, but make your first cut a climb cut, and your idea of slotting first and then planing to size sounds good to me.