PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Siping for traction

Andrew Joiner
01-21-2024, 12:21 PM
The lugs on my leather work boot soles had worn down to smooth. The leather was fine and was Snowseal treated so I didn't want to toss them. I siped the bottoms of the soles on the table saw with a thin kerf blade. I cut shallow kerfs about every 1/2".
I do a lot of brisk walking in the winter and for the past week we've had unseasonably icy snowy conditions here. The siping really works. I didn't even have to put on my Yaktrax cleats at all!
Before siping on wet floors they slipped like ice skates. Now they really grip:)

Jim Koepke
01-21-2024, 12:40 PM
I had to look up > siping <

jtk

Cameron Wood
01-21-2024, 1:27 PM
That's good but I'm the opposite- looking to reduce the amount of tread to avoid tracking mud & debris inside.

The "he-man" work boots are terrible in this regard. Icy conditions are extremely rare in my area 'tho...

Andrew Joiner
01-21-2024, 2:24 PM
That's good but I'm the opposite- looking to reduce the amount of tread to avoid tracking mud & debris inside.

The "he-man" work boots are terrible in this regard. Icy conditions are extremely rare in my area 'tho...

Siping is done on tires mostly. Yes my shoes now capture the street gravel in the kerfs. At first it was a downside, but now I like it. The gravel acts like studded soles so no slipping! I leave it in for icy walks and clean it out when it's not needed.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-21-2024, 2:31 PM
Winter tires are often siped.