PDA

View Full Version : Curly Big Leaf Maple Box....

Michael Stafford
02-05-2006, 4:59 PM
Here is yet another box. I know some of you folks are probably quite tired of seeing turned boxes. It is about all I do for the turning forum so bear with me.

This is a piece of highly figured big leaf maple. It is just loaded with curl. The box finished up at 2 1/2" in diameter and 3" tall. The end grain is very plain and I wish I had done something with it like beads, grooves or maybe some chattering.

I attached an extra picture to show the quilting that is on the other side of the box.

Jim Ketron
02-05-2006, 5:03 PM
Oh what figure in that box!:eek: :eek:
Nice job Big Mike!

Jim Becker
02-05-2006, 5:24 PM
That's some beautiful curl, Mike! Wonderful box as usual... ;)

George Conklin
02-05-2006, 5:38 PM
I don't think I could get tired of looking at the boxes you make. You are quite an inspiration to me and I would guess, many others.

George

Dick Parr
02-05-2006, 5:41 PM
Another outstanding box Mike. That is some really great looking wood with a very nice shape to it.;)

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2006, 5:52 PM
Mike that is outstanding. Love the figure. Great work.

Keith Burns
02-05-2006, 6:11 PM
Never get tired of you Boxes. They are always excellent and this is no exception. I always look forward to your posts:) :)

Mark Cothren
02-05-2006, 6:19 PM
Yeah, I'm gettin' a little tired of all these plain ol' boxes you post...:rolleyes:

BRING 'EM ON!!!!

What a beautiful piece of wood, Mike. And a great box you made out of it. Very nice, my friend.

Thanks for the pictures!

Corey Hallagan
02-05-2006, 6:28 PM
Mike I for one would never get tired of seeing your turned or flat boxes! That is awesome wood, you did it justice. All kinds of stuff going on there. Thanks for posting Mike!
Corey

Andy Hoyt
02-05-2006, 7:34 PM
Another nice one by Big Mike.

Here's a thought you just put in my head when you worried that we might be tired of these (We're NOT!).

I have noticed that just about all your pieces have common dimensions probably due to the raw stock you're picking up.

So how about shaking that up a bit. Lower, Wider, Squatter, Deeper, Taller, and so forth. Still boxed, so you're not stepping out of bounds.

Or what about doing that globe and stanchion thing - my personal pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-05-2006, 9:19 PM
WOW Mike, My big leaf Maple doesn't look that good.

The box is vell done, too.

Bruce

Sparky Paessler
02-05-2006, 9:36 PM
Wow Mike nice looking box! The maple is great and the job you did with it is wonderful.

Bill Stevener
02-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Another nice box Mike, you just keep showing them and I'll just keep looking at them.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
02-06-2006, 12:23 AM
I know some of you folks are probably quite tired of seeing turned boxes.

Not a chance here. I like your boxes Mike, and this is another beauty. Even though I haven't done boxes, your forms give ideas for other stuff.

Thanks for posting.

Ernie

John Hart
02-06-2006, 7:31 AM
Another beautiful Box Mike! In picture number 3 (opened up), it just begs to be stroked. Great Curl too!!!:)