PDA

View Full Version : Interersting Tools Part 4 - Combination Squares - Goodell-Pratt, Millers Falls, Union

Eric Brown
01-19-2024, 11:56 AM
Goodell-Pratt did make some combination squares. The quality is just a hair below the Starrett's. Goodell-Pratt eventually was bought by Millers Falls and their tool line was moved over.

Below is a Goodell-Pratt set. Non-reversable.

Next is a lower cost Handyman (no level or scribe)

And a Fulton (Made in USA) that appears to have been made by Goodell-Pratt for Sears that I nickel plated.

Union Manufacuring made a set too. Non-reversable. While this is a 9" set it uses the standard 1" wide blade, so a 12" will work.

Another quality one is by Mitutoyo. This one is reversable.

Part 5 will cover other similar tools and will conclude this series.

steven c newman
01-19-2024, 12:27 PM
Might have one of those...
Maybe 2?

Jim Koepke
01-19-2024, 6:44 PM
Thanks for the interesting seris Eric.

I do not use combination squares very often. One of mine is an odd duck. It has a 9" rule. To the best of my recollection the only mark on the blade is > MF Co. < Not sure if that is Millers Falls or possibly some other company.

There are a few combination squares in my shop. Most used is the center finder or the protractor.

jtk

Eric Brown
01-19-2024, 7:23 PM
Thanks for the interesting seris Eric.

I do not use combination squares very often. One of mine is an odd duck. It has a 9" rule. To the best of my recollection the only mark on the blade is > MF Co. < Not sure if that is Millers Falls or possibly some other company.

There are a few combination squares in my shop. Most used is the center finder or the protractor.

jtk

Jim, the first thing I look at is the shape around the clamp hook knob. This one is sort of "U" shaped which makes Brown & Sharpe a possibility. I would need to see that knobs profile to help match it.
Each of the manufacturers used a slightly different shape. Starrett used a scalloped shape with raised edges. Goodell-Pratt (later Millers Falls) used more of a heart shape.
If the stock is made of aluminum, it may be a more modern knock-off. Also. how wide is the blade? Probably either 1" or a slightly smaller 7/8".